General discussion

Thinkpad 600 boot hangup

By magnefl ·
Hi!
My IBM Thinkpad 600 (Type 2645-310) stops and hang during bootup.
What happens is:
1. LED test, then green Power on and orange battery/charging

3. RAM OK (Responds when I take out /put in different amount of RAM and displays correctly. I have 128 + 32 removable, + 32 internal not possible to take out)

2. I can hear fan, CD drive and evt diskette drive. If I use diskette drive the LED wil give 1 blink, if I use CD drive it will give 14 blink.

3. No cursor seen, but this is displayed:
Upper left show the amount of RAM present: 196032 KB OK
Upper right IBMs logo in blue; IBM
Lower left shows "ThinkPad(R)" in large letters and red dot over "i".

4. Then a "rrrrrr" sound from the loudspeakers after a while, this is in fact 28 clicks shortly after each other. Then nothing more happens.

Diskette and CD drive is OK (But can not be used because bootup is never finished). I hear CD speed up and then down again but nothing more happens.

No effect in booting with bootable diskette or CD, "Live Linux" CD or else.

Backup battery OK (3V) and if I take it out I will be asked for correct date and time when Power on. I can then use keyboard or TrackPoint to set date and time, and after that hangup at the usual point.

Starting without battery, HDD, CD drive and removable memory sticks makes no difference in symptoms.

Pressing and holding F1 before and during poweron and startup (in order to enter BIOS and selftest) has no effect.

I could not find help on IBMs home page, but maybe I did not look at the right place.

Is somebody able to help me?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by entawanabi In reply to Thinkpad 600 boot hangup

Please Read "Windows XP Install" Steve.Wareing

Collapse -

by magnefl In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by magnefl In reply to Thinkpad 600 boot hangup

I tried to use a DOS boot disk that has FDISK and FORMAT on it, but as I wrote in the main text booting from the floppy is not possible - this is in fact aprt of the main problem.

Collapse -

by Jacky Howe In reply to Thinkpad 600 boot hangup

Try this link.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4YQNTQ

Note that the F1 key is pressed before startup.

Collapse -

by Jacky Howe In reply to

You could also check this out and try some other combinations. Missed the F1 bit!

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=YAST-3JWKJX

Collapse -

by magnefl In reply to

Thanks for help, but I have already been there, as I wrote earlier. It seems to me that IBM has good support pages, but I have not found what I need...

Collapse -

by feather_duster_ In reply to Thinkpad 600 boot hangup

hey :)
i have exactly the same problem does any one have any more solutions? i've tried the one's posted already.

Collapse -

by feather_duster_ In reply to
Collapse -

by feather_duster_ In reply to
Collapse -

600E

by mattjtorres In reply to Thinkpad 600 boot hangup

Have you solved the problem? I have a Thinkpad 600E and it is doing the exact same thing. If you've figured it out, please tell me what you did.

Back to Desktop Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next