Question

Thinkpad 600 os installation

By loumorgan ·
My Thinkpad 600 hard drive died and I have to replace it. When I try to load XP, the installation progresses normally until it has to reboot. When it reboots, it will not recognize the cd rom.

How can I install the os in this situation?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Is that a

by Michael Jay In reply to Thinkpad 600 os installat ...

thinkpad 600 or 600e? I do not think that you can load XP on either model, unsupported hardware. Anyway someone else may have a workaround that will allow you to load XP on that unit but I think that a better option is to upgrade to a newer platform. I work with a lot of IBM laptops and your hard drive making it this far is amazing.

Another thing to look at is the display, it should be somewhat pink at this point in its life, that is the cold cathode lamp that is used for the backlight on the display. Once the display goes pinkish it will not be long before it goes out completely.

Yes I know this is not what you want to hear but it is just the facts and I also know that new laptops are not exactly cheap, but in the long run your best bet is to upgrade.

Collapse -

Thanks

by loumorgan In reply to Is that a

Thank you for the reply. So far, my screen is bright and clear as ever. Guess it lasted longer than expected.

Collapse -

Press Space Key during start up

by m_iqbalid In reply to Thinkpad 600 os installat ...

I found the same problem,
you should try this
1. press F1 and hold before press power Button.
2. Press space key to boot from cd
Afterall, u can download the main manual from
http://cryptome.org/deepwater/09n1033.pdf
Good Luck

Collapse -

Another good link

by ctrservices In reply to Press Space Key during st ...

to help with any configuration problems with installing XP is http://tinyurl.com/fx94a.

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)