General discussion

Time Service on windows 2000 server

By bfeltus ·
Have 10 workstations connected to windows 2000 server with active directory. Receiving the following w32time warning in the event log:

Because of repeated network problems, the time service has not been able to find a domain controller to synchronize with for a long time. To reduce network traffic, the time service will wait 960 minutes before trying again. No synchronization will take place during this interval, even if network connectivity is restored.

I do not want my server to go outto the internet to get the time. Can I have my server get the time from a pc. The pc can go out to the internet and get the time. If this is possible, what's the command to have the server get the time from the pc?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Time Service on windows 2 ...

The NET TIME /SETSNTP: to set the time server for a Win2K machine only works if the time server listens on the NTP port (I forget which port that is right now). Basically, you would have to install a network time protocol software on a workstation, a program that would answer NTP requests.
After you did that, THEN you could configure your server to query that workstation.
YOu would THEN have to use Group Policy to specify for the other workstations that they get their time from your Win2K server.
After all that, then it will work with no errors.

hope this helps

Collapse -

by bfeltus In reply to Time Service on windows 2 ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by bfeltus In reply to Time Service on windows 2 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)