General discussion

Time Synchronization in Windows 2000 Environment

By neonacker ·
I have a windows 2000 server and all the clients running win 2k pro, I also have a novell 4.22 server.

The setup is a typical client server environment wherein the client log into the domain as well as the novell server. The problem is with time sync, all the workstations do not sync the time with the server. The novell server also does not seem to have the sync the time with the server. Is there any way wherein I can force the clients as well as the novell server to sync the time with win 2000 server. Pl dont tell me to install any third party software on the clients, as the number of clients is a lot.

Could u please help me. thanks (NN)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

time sync at log on

by lcampbell In reply to Time Synchronization in W ...

I use this command in a logon script that is pushed to all domain clients via Group Policy.
net time \\%servername% /p /y
this will take care of clients time sync...
Now you must set the Server to sync with a military time server... do this from a CMD prompt...

net time /setsntp:server_list(this being one of the IP's listed below)

There are several SNTP time servers run by the U.S. Naval Observatory that are satisfactory for this function, for example:
ntp2.usno.navy.mil at 192.5.41.209
tock.usno.navy.mil at 192.5.41.41

After you set the SNTP time server as authoritative, run either of the following commands on a computer other than the domain controller to reset the local computer's time against the authoritative time server:
net time /your domain name /set

Type the following commands at the server, pressing ENTER after each command:
net stop w32time
w32tm ?once
net start w32time

More information about the net time command is available at a command prompt if you type the following command:
net time /?

Hope this helps

Collapse -

yeah

by Cactus Pete In reply to Time Synchronization in W ...

You have lots of options, really.

For a detailed list of them, try asking this in the Q&A section, rather than in Discussions.

Basically, you need an updated NLM for sync on the Novell server, and you have to have TCP/IP running. Then change the timesync.cfg file to point to the ip address of the win2k server.

Also, the win2k server must be set up [a reg change] to be a time server for other machines.

Finally, all your workstations should have the time service turned on and configured...

I recommend a DNS entry with an alias to ntp1.path.ad or such... this way you can change the server without reconfiguring all the workstations...

Back to IT Employment Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)