General discussion

Tired of hotfixes, updates, patches and a december 2006 deedline

By zczc2311 ·
I for 1 am not about to wait here fr more security hotfixes, service packs, critical updates as I want to start using my network again rather than updating it at great expense.

I am going to Sun Microsystems. Whilst the aspect of buying a RISC based Server will have to wait...I can change the client/Single user/Application software at little expense and start an investment of the future see Technet Article September 22 2004 "Sun foresees global pool of computing power", October 18 2004 "Advice to Microsoft:Learn to love Linux,October 13, 2004 "Microsoft warns of 22 new security flaws"

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

hmmm.

by Jaqui In reply to Tired of hotfixes, update ...

any major linux distro can get you away from m$ waiting for updates, for less than Sun's os.
yet fully compatable with Sun's

Collapse -

The problem with Sun Microsystems

by stress junkie In reply to Tired of hotfixes, update ...

Solaris is a solid product. Using Solaris for Intel processors may be a good choice. I would stay away from Sun hardware because they use very old technology to build their machines and then charge a huge price for it. I can recall with disgust an Enterprise 450 server that I was running which used 60ns RAM and 296MHz CPUs. When the server was designed PCs were using much faster RAM and slightly faster CPUs at a very small fraction of the price of the Enterprise 450.

As far as operating system maintenance such as patches et. al. you might do as well or better than Solaris by choosing either one of the BSD products or SuSE Linux. ( openbsd.org netbsd.org freebsd.org novell.com ) I would stay away from Mandrake Linux and I have no opinion regarding the many other Linux distributions due to my lack of experience with them. SuSE Linux is really good. OpenBSD has a lot of free software available, like Linux. NetBSD has been ported to a lot of different hardware platforms. I don't recall the special benefit of FreeBSD. All three of the BSDs are developed independently of each other and each project has its own agenda. Note that Solaris and all of the BSDs are true Unix, not a workalike clone. As such there are no patent questions. Not that the SCO/Linux issue is all that prevalent in IT discussions these days.

I hope that you have the time to evaluate your options before you make a decision. Time spent researching these products could pay off many times over in saved hours deploying and otherwise supporting your new platform.

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)