General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

.tmp files in Office2000

by lenmf2 ·

two of my clients complain that some excel documents will only save with the .tmp extension. They’re running XP pro (SP1), & i’ve just installed office (SP3) on 1 user, & increased her virtual memory. Any other thoughts???????

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: .tmp files in Office2000

by mikex ·

In reply to .tmp files in Office2000

Sounds like a macro virus – do a online scan with at least 2 different antivirus scanners

by dave.meyer ·

This is what Microsoft (MSND.Com),
      Excel 2000 saving a file
      Article ID : 814068
      Last Review : October 5, 2004

When you save an existing file in Excel, Excel creates a temporary file in the destination folder that you specify in the Save As dialog box. The temporary file contains the whole contents of your workbook. If Excel successfully saves the temporary file, the temporary file is renamed with the file name you specify in the Save As dialog box.

This process of saving files makes sure that the original file is not damaged. The original file is useful if the save operation is not successful.

When Excel saves a file, Excel follow these steps: 1. Excel creates a randomly named temporary file (for example, Cedd4100 with no file name extension) in the destination folder that you specified in the Save As dialog box. The whole workbook is written to the temporary file.
      2. If changes are being saved to an existing file, Excel deletes the original file.
      3. Excel renames the temporary file. Excel gives the temporary file the file name that you specified (such as Book1.xls) in the Save As dialog box.

Important Points About Saving
      After Excel creates and saves the temporary file, all the changes are written to the temporary file.
      If Excel cannot delete the existing file, you receive an error message. The original file and the temporary file both remain in the destination folder.
      If Excel can delete the existing file, but Excel cannot rename the temporary file, you receive an error message. Only the temporary file remains in the destination folder.
      If Excel saves a new file for the first time, Excel does not create a temporary file. Excel saves the file with the file name that you specified in the Save As dialog box.

by rewrite ·

When you say that excel will only save with the .tmp extension what exactly do you mean? If you are working on somesheet.xls and you do a save does the file save as somesheet.tmp? If you are working on somesheet.xls and you do a Save As “somesheet2.xls” does it save as somesheet2.tmp? Do you then have the somesheet.xls and somesheet2.tmp files with appropriate date and time attributes?

Post back with a little more info.

Cheers.

RW

by lenmf2 ·

The client has told me that a message is displayed when she attempts to initially save the document {eg. somebook.xls can only be saved as a temporary document} – or words to this effect! As this is an intimitant problem, I haven’t actually seen this problem myself….

by sgt_shultz ·

what server os? there is a known problem with excel not closing up files on network drives. i thought the cure was latest office sp but you have done that. i think you got win2k server. i think you got mapped network drives and i think you would not see this problem on 2k client, only xp clients. i think it has to do with smb service on win2k server. can you turn that service off on server for a test. read all about it at support.microsoft.com. email them with your post…

Viewing 4 reply threads