General discussion

Toshiba DK424 PBX

By brasslet ·
I've been tasked to administer a DK424 system at a small remote office. They purchased the system some time ago. They haven't been able to utilize the system to its potential and are also unsure if it really meets their needs, largely due to what sounds like indifferent vendor support. I have some PBX and telecom experience from working with Avaya (aka Lucent) Definity systems, but I'm unfamiliar with the Toshiba.

From reading the System Administrator Guide and other documentation, I can see this product can be administered via a phone connected to a specific port on the system. From some poking around, I think that's already been setup so I can get at the system that way. I also see some of the system's end user features, such as callforwarding, pickup groups etc. A couple of things I don't see, however, I list below.

1) Can the system be administered remotely? If so, how? I read somewhere that you need some kind of proprietary software from Toshiba but I wonder if that is true.

2) The Definity systems offer what they refer to as Call Coverage, also known as Coverage Paths. This automatically reroutes calls when an extension is busy, active or not available depending on programming. Example: phone rings boss. After three rings (no answer), rings at assistant's phone three times. After no answer there, goes into the boss's voicemail. I can't see how the Toshiba does this. I see call forwarding but that behaves differently. I can't imagine they don't offer something like this but I can't find it.

Thanks in advance for all help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Toshiba DK424 PBX

by brasslet In reply to Toshiba DK424 PBX

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

Toshiba DK424 PBX

by Joseph Moore In reply to Toshiba DK424 PBX

I found a couple of things on the Toshiba web site:

1) "DKiAdmin software provides full programming for technicians and StrataControl software provides limited programming for end users."
There is also Remote Maintenance:
Allows off-site service personnel to alter system programming and test hardware from remote locations.
So, there are a couple of remote applications you can use to administer the box.
I found a reference for DKiAdmin, listing at $273. Here is the URL for this listing:
http://www.peppm.org/2001/Product/toshibatelecom/price.pdf
(please remove any spaces)
And here is a similar pricing sheet from Toshiba itself:
http://pdf.toshiba.com/taistsd/gsa.pdf
Go to page 45 for prices for all of the software packages and install costs for the DK424.
2) Looks like there is "Relay Service (Optional)". That might be what you are looking for. And since it is optional (i.e. more money for that module) you might not have it installed.

But I could not find a downloadable manual. The one piece of info I gleamed from looking around for this is Toshiba recommends you contact a Toshiba dealer to do maintenance, upgrades, and such. So, you might have to go that route to find the software and an instruction of what youneed to run it.

hope this helps

Collapse -

Toshiba DK424 PBX

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Toshiba DK424 PBX

by Mr. Ezekial Transistor In reply to Toshiba DK424 PBX

1) Yes just like you heard. http://www.cdstelco.com/Toshiba/stratacontrol.htm
2)Toshiba calls it Automatic Call Distribution and Call Forward External so look for that in the manual. You can ask Toshiba about anything related to it at http://www.toshibatelephonesystems.com/Help/AskUs.asp?PID=45 44&PG=ASK
(Notice annoying spaces may be added to URL)

Collapse -

Toshiba DK424 PBX

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Toshiba DK424 PBX

by tbragsda In reply to Toshiba DK424 PBX

1) Both posters are correct about remote admin. DKAdmin is the software. It requires a hardware key on the PC running the software. You can connect serial to the switch, or dial in. Ext #19 gets you to the mgnt port. Thing is that you cant trans to #19 from outside (security). If you have a auto-attend or Straight VM, add a voicemail box of any # set to fwr to #19.

2a) Consider just putting a second occurrence of the bosses PDN on the secretary?s phone. Other option is to use a hunt group. It will ring each handset, and if not picked up, go to only one VM box.

2b) Another option is to use fixed call fwr. This way, the boss can put the phone on fwr when he out of the office.

Collapse -

Toshiba DK424 PBX

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Toshiba DK424 PBX

by achen2002 In reply to Toshiba DK424 PBX

1) base on other answers, I assume the "remote administration" you mean is "not throught pressing the buttons on certain telphone to program the system",
if this is it then all answers above should be helpful.
If you mean to administrate the system when you are away from the office, you can use DISA (Direct Inward System Access),
after you setup this, you are able to call in the DISA line and perform all programming remotely as if you were inside the office.

2) For the sake of being easier to explain, I assume the port of boss' phone is 001, the port of his female assitant's phone is 002.
Here's how to configure it, you must have a CO line configured for the boss, the function you want can not be done by merely "extention numbers".

Pick up a CO line from PGM 81~89 and configure 81, 84, 87 to port 001; 82, 85, 88 to port 002.

You must have buttons for this line set up in both phones, go to PGM 39, configure a button to this CO line for each
port 001 and 002.

After you finish step 2, the incoming call will flash in both phones simultaneously but they will only ring at port 001,
if nobody picks it up, it'll start to ring at port 002 after 12 seconds.

Collapse -

Toshiba DK424 PBX

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Toshiba DK424 PBX

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)