Question

Toshiba M200 Bios reset

By standing.brian ·
I am having issues with Toshiba M200 laptop, starting with BSOD and now a BIOS that I cannot access.

BSOD was very frequent in normal Windows XP and only Safe Mode ran consistently. In trying to fix the BSOD issues, I fiddled with the BIOS and now I cannot access windows or even the BIOS.

How can I reset the BIOS to the factory settings? will removing the CMOS battery work? or can BIOS be flashed via software somehow?

thanks for any help,
Brian

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

TR members do not assist password recovery. Do not respond to this thread

by OH Smeg In reply to Toshiba M200 Bios reset

The members of TechRepublic - A Resource for IT Professionals, will not assist anyone in the recovery of lost passwords. You may have a legitimate reason to recover a password. However, we cannot verify your motives and will therefore not assist anyone in what may be an attempt at gaining unauthorized access to a computer system. Due to the open nature of this forum, any assistance given to help circumvent security measures, even for legitimate purposes, would be available for unscrupulous individuals to use for illegitimate purposes. This is a risk that we the members of TechRepublic will not take. Please do not ask questions of this nature on TechRepublic.

If you have a legitimate need to circumvent a password scheme, please contact the vendor for the software / hardware and request their assistance. E.g. Windows XP password recovery issues should be taken up with Microsoft's technical support, Phoenix BIOS password recovery issues should be taken up with Phoenix Technologies, etc.. To those viewing this post: Please DO NOT respond any further to this thread.

This template has been released under the GNU public license and you are encouraged to use it as a standard reply for questions of similar nature, provided that you make any modifications available to other users.

Collapse -

You need a new system board / motherboard

by cambron.tyee In reply to Toshiba M200 Bios reset

This is an old topic to reply but...

Bought my M200 around 2005 then I had that same problem after I had it for 2 years. In 2009, It got worse and wasn't even able to load up Windows XP even in standard VGA mode. I think it is an issue with the nVidia chip, might need reflow I am guessing.

Try linux, I had no problems running Linux Mint 8, until this year in 2011, when the motherboard finally gave up on me. It crashed with pretty frequently with some weird graphics just before it died for good. And flashing the BIOS isn't going to help fix the BSOD, I had the latest 1.8.

I am going to order a new motherboard/system board for $50 on a used one or $250 new one, when ever I plan to bring my Toshiba Portege M200 back alive. Or I might try to cheapo reflow the GPU just for fun to see if it fix, like the reflow techniques that are posted on YouTube.

Tyee Cambron
http://www.mrcambron.com/

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)