Question

Toshiba Satellite 1800-712

By kotecha_deepa ·
My laptop has WIN XP Home installed on it. I have only used about 60% of the hard drive, for the last few months or so I have noticed it getting slower and slower, I have tried running disk cleanup and also defragmenting, but none of these solutions seem to work. It starts up very slow and then all my programs take forever opening up.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Background programs

by p.j.hutchison In reply to Toshiba Satellite 1800-71 ...

I could be some background programs or processes that is slowing it down.
What security products do you have installed?
Check for scheduled scans?
Do you have indexing enabled for C: drive - try turing off the indexing service?

Collapse -

Typically

by ozi Eagle In reply to Toshiba Satellite 1800-71 ...

Hi,
Slowing down is typically due to several issues.

Fragmentation of drive - defrag to fix.

Lots of temp files - you need to change folder option so that hidden files & folders can be seen, then using windows explorer find LOCAL SETTINGS under the various users. There will be a folder called TEMP. Delete all files & folders in these TEMP folders (one TEMP folder for each user). Some files might be in use and can't be deleted.

Scan for virii, with upto date definitions.
Scan for spy etc ware, also with up to date definitions. Spybot and adaware are two good, free scanners.

Herb

Collapse -

Remove your battery...

by boxfiddler Moderator In reply to Toshiba Satellite 1800-71 ...

then clean the contacts. Leave the battery out for awhile, and run it just on the electric. If it runs fine without the battery, then put the battery back in after cleaning the contacts. If the battery is still good, it should run well, if the battery is no good, the slowness will be back.

I have just ironed this problem out in my own HP laptop. Ran great without the battery, whether or not I replace it is another matter.

Back to Hardware Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)