Question

Toshiba Satellite A135 Battery/AC question.

By rgjr61 ·
Hi all: A little background: I have several laptops I service at a company that is, like too many, strapped for cash. I've got all of these running on an auto-backup combination power pack/surge protector. These computers are never used outside the office, except the one belonging to the boss, of course.

Two of the Toshiba Satellite are running with absolutely spent batteries. I guess they were at one time used portable. Since I have the power backup protection, I've not pushed to have them spend money on new ones. Lately however they've begun to shut off despite the AC being on. The others on this power pack are fine.
Finally, can I run these laptops (any or all) without battery(ies)? Should the dead batteries be left out instead of them constantly trying to charge and wasting electricity?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Robert Goltz

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Dead Batteries

by TheChas In reply to Toshiba Satellite A135 Ba ...

Actually, the quickest way to destroy a laptop battery is to leave the laptop hooked up to the charger 24/7. To maximize battery life, you need to discharge the battery on a regular basis. Also, the heat from over-charging shortens the battery life.

I would need to research this model, but many laptops will not run without a battery installed. The chargers do not have enough power reserve to handle the maximum power demands of startup and intensive use such as installing software or burning disks. Some laptops even have interlocks that do not allow you to even boot the computer without a battery installed.

Dead batteries can cause a laptop to shut down. As the cells in the battery go into full failure mode, they can short out or even produce a reverse voltage. This will in turn load down the power supply and eventually damage it too.

The good news is that you don't need expensive batteries for these. If they are almost always on AC power, you only need 15 minutes or so of reserve power. The least expensive batteries you can find should work well.

Of course, the fact that these are always plugged in begs the question of why not an inexpensive desktop instead of the more expensive to maintain laptop?

Chas

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by rgjr61 In reply to Dead Batteries

Chas. I just wrote a reply before logging in so this might be a duplicate?? The Toshibas are running OK? it seems without battery. As to Laptop v. Desktop, not my decision. It is there's and due to negative revenue, my suggestions are taken on advisement, yet I have no orders. The batteries on several of their machines, including an HP, were lost before I came on and the recycle status I am not sure of, much less can I get a straight answer. These batteries, according to my battery monitoring software, have 0 charge and less that two seconds of use before a shut down occurs. Thanks again for your insight.

Cheers,

Robert

Collapse -

Agree with Chas

by markp24 In reply to Toshiba Satellite A135 Ba ...

There are a lot of articles about proper laptop battery maintenance. You do wasn't to let them discharge and fully recharge on a cycled schedule.

but ditto with Chas's answer

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by rgjr61 In reply to Agree with Chas

Mark, Thanks for your input. I'll quote you both as agreeing with my initial assessment that all of the batteries need replacing, even if they can only afford to do it in stages.

Cheers,

R

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums