General discussion

Toshiba Satellite A135-S2276 Motherboard Crash / BIOS Password

By arichart ·
I have read several of these posts and seem to have the same issue as many here...but, my question pertains to what happens after the password is reset. I, too, had my computer lock up due to the BIOS password issue. Even though my laptop is no longer under warranty, Toshiba fixed the problem (for free) since it was a widespread issue. The computer worked fine for approximately one month. This is where my problem can't be resolved. My laptop locked up and I had to pull the battery to reset it since it wouldn't reboot or answer to the CTR+ALT+DEL command. It started back up and everything seemed hunky-dory. Well, I left the laptop running that night and the next day there was a blank, blue screen. Again, the PC would not respond to any of the keys. I had to pull the battery and power cord to get it turned off. Now, when I try to turn the computer on, the green power light comes on (as does the green battery & AC supply indicator lights), the hard drive indicator light comes on for a couple of seconds then the HDD indicator light goes out and the only thing that happens is that the power light stays on and you can barely hear the fan spinning. I called tech support and they ruled out a Hard Drive issue since I couldn't even get to the splash screen. I took the RAM out and tried to restart it with either of the two chips to see if a RAM module could be the problem. So, I am under the impression that this is a motherboard issue...Now, since this computer has been out of warranty for all of 8 months, I am looking at a $500-600 bill (according to the geek squad) to have this fixed. Has anyone else had this issue arise that was fixed with anything other than a mainboard? If so, what and is it worthwile monetarily? Considering I only paid $600 for it in the first place, I might as well get a new one under warranty compared to trying to fix a P.O.S.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

might be...

by prototype_nsx In reply to Toshiba Satellite A135-S2 ...

lets say u have a hdd problem... did u try to use the hdd of ur machine with another as a media drive? if it works then its definitely not dead!! and u dont get any screen? so there is 80% chance of your bios being killed which u can fix cheaply. I know toshiba asp's and know how happily they replace the motherboards!!!!! try and flash ur bios before you use it as a paperweight.

Collapse -

If you remove all of the RAM what Happens?

by OH Smeg In reply to Toshiba Satellite A135-S2 ...

If you hear nothing at all you have a dead M'Board. If you hear a series of Beeps the M'Board is telling you that there is no RAM Fitted so it is working to some point.

However it's never a good idea to leave any computer running all the time while unattended and more so with NB's. These get hot and die horribly fast as the electronics degrade quite quickly. If you insist on using a NB you should always fit a Cool Pad to it and leave it connected all of the time. While it will help keep the unit cool it will not help much if you leave the unit unattended running as there are many problems that can come in over the Mains and destroy your Computer.

If you don't know what a Cool Pad is they look like this

http://www.antec.com/uk/productDetails.php?ProdID=75004

Col

Collapse -

any luck ?

by prototype_nsx In reply to If you remove all of the ...

did u find out what is the problem ?

Collapse -

Not RAM

by arichart In reply to If you remove all of the ...

Yeah, after the RAM came out, it acted the same way. no beeps or anything different. I guess now it is time to see if I can get it apart to put a new MB in...Thanks for the help!

Collapse -

Your Welcome. <NT>

by OH Smeg In reply to Not RAM
Collapse -

bios password

by hafidraymondyounis In reply to Toshiba Satellite A135-S2 ...

toshiba A135-S2276

Collapse -

re: Toshiba Satellite A135-S2276 Motherboard Crash / BIOS Password

by bosscub In reply to Toshiba Satellite A135-S2 ...

I have a friend that just had this problem except that when she sent her computer in to Toshiba they told her that she would have to pay 600 to have it fixed claiming that the motherboard has already crashed. The computer was just fine when she sent the computer off other than the buyers password. It seems to me...in my own opinion that Toshiba has one heck of a scam going with their laptops. Oh, and when you try to call Toshiba they will not allow you to talk to a supervisor either! So if you have a Toshiba laptop good luck. Basically you will be SOL in solving this problem.

Collapse -

Odd, I've never had a problem with them.

by CharlieSpencer In reply to re: Toshiba Satellite A13 ...

Three laptops and six tablets over the years, and I've found their service to be responsive and cooperative. They're not our preferred vendor, but we have no qualms about using them.

Back to Hardware Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)