General discussion

Toshiba XM-6102B CD-ROM is not recognize

By MicS ·
Toshiba XM-6102B CD-ROM is not recognized by Win98. It is not even shown in Control Panel/System. There are no errors saying that CD-ROM is not working.

But still it is found by BIOS (IDE2 master, and I cannot change this connection).
It is recognized by Win95 or Win98 SE, but I do not want to reinstall the OS now.
It is recognized by oakcdrom.sys if I boot from Win98 floppy, and after running MSCDEX I can use it in DOS mode.
Reinstallation of Win98 doesn't help. WindowsUpdate too.
The device is working (light is blinking when I put a disk in).

Toshiba Techsupport said me that no drivers are required for this CD-ROM. And its definition is in inf/mscdrom.inf

The computer is Dell Dimension XPS D266, and this CD drive was not replaced after the purchase of the computer.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by calves In reply to Toshiba XM-6102B CD-ROM i ...

I can email you the driver for that particular CD-Rom. then you just Run the .exe file to unzip the files and do an installation.
Contact me if you want the driver.

Good luck!

Collapse -

by MicS In reply to Toshiba XM-6102B CD-ROM i ...
Collapse -

by mphoffar In reply to Toshiba XM-6102B CD-ROM i ...

Sounds like you have it all hooked up correctly, it just isn't being recognized by windows, which leads me to beleive that the protected mode drivers for the Hard Drive Controllers aren't working correctly.

I would first make sure that these are loding correctly in the device manager.

I would then look at the following reg key entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\VXD\IOS

If there is an entry in there that says noide, remove it and reboot. Just like any reg key entry back it up in case you have to reapply it. Do this should reinitialize the protected modem driver.

If this does not work, you'll probobly have to reload the busmaster driver. This is specific to the chipset (intel, via, etc), so you'll need to find out first what you have before getting one. THe splash screen when you boot up or the hard drive controller, (if it isn't set as standard) should be able to tell you what it's trying to load. www.windrivers.com has links to most of the sites to get thes

Collapse -

Collapse -

by mmccaskill69 In reply to Toshiba XM-6102B CD-ROM i ...

Open MSConfig by clicking on start, click on run, type msconfig, and click ok.

Rem any entries under autoexec.bat and config.sys that refer to the CD drive by placing a semicolon in front of the line.

Click apply, click ok, and restart the system.

You can also check the settings in the properties of the main ide controller in device manager to make sure that both ide channels are enabled.

Collapse -

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)