General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

TR Garden Club – Episode #9 Spring 2011

by boxfiddler ·

This is a continuation of a discussion started here: (TRGC Part 1) http://preview.tinyurl.com/2qflz5
    And continued here: (TRGC Part 2) http://preview.tinyurl.com/ytxn7j
    Then proceeded to carry on here: (TRGC Part 3) http://tinyurl.com/6fw8c7
    You can find Part #4 here: http://tinyurl.com/6pteb6
    Part #5 can be located here: http://preview.tinyurl.com/bekqml
    Part #6 is here: http://preview.tinyurl.com/bs5t45
    Part #7 can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/2bajdru
    Part #8 can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/5rlq6ng

AV’s opening post:
    My garden in Spring 2011

We don’t have a new garden post. Boxy! We need one. I can’t post it because I’m having technical difficulties.

Anyways, this year I’m going to have a special garden. This is the first year I’m going to try to grow wildflowers from seeds and get them to take in my environment. Its going to be a real challenge because the wildflowers are from Colorado, but I’m going to grow them in New Jersey. I’m talking about Columbines, Coneflowers and alot of flowers like that, but all from seed.

I have a few different areas that I am going to try, but I’m also going to try to grow them as container plants. Don’t know if I will be successful, but I’m doing it anyway.

We’ve had the worst of winters. Its been beyond awful here and I’ve felt like I lived in Maine instead of New Jersey. I’m not knocking Maine, but I wouldn’t choose to live there because its so cold and snowy.

I still have my potato bags from last year. They survived the winter, amazing! This year, I’m only planting red potatoes. They had a much better yield than the Yukon Gold potatoes last year.

I’m going to plant lots of lettuces. The lettuces flourished in the planter beds. I buy Gurney’s Red Sails and Mixed Greens and they were very prolific last year.

Also prolific were the Early Contender green beans. I’m using last years seeds and have done that in the past. They are still good.

AV

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Here ’tis, AV. :)

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to TR Garden Club – Episode #9 Spring 2011

Oh, and P’sTB? We need to be able to specifically tag off-topic discussions. Can’t add the TRGC tag for Epidsode #9. 🙁

I’ve given up on the tags

by av . ·

In reply to Here ’tis, AV. :)

They just don’t work.

AV

I haven’t figured out how to add tags on off-topics.

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to I’ve given up on the tags

I don’t see any indication that it’s even possible when I start a discussion. Am I missing something?

Tags

by ron k. ·

In reply to I haven’t figured out how to add tags on off-topics.

All I can recall is seeing the Off-Topic tag/checkbox at the bottom when you start a discussion.

No free-form tags.

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Tags

Only the “IT tags”, any combination, or Off Topic (i.e. consign to midden).
          Nothing “real” goes together with OT.

Nice, eh?

You’re not missing it, there isn’t any option to define your own tags

by av . ·

In reply to I haven’t figured out how to add tags on off-topics.

Gone with the wind. This is a real stripped-down version of TR than what we had before. Maybe we can get the PTB’s to add that functionality back. Come to think of it, they probably don’t know its missing. :O

AV

Gardening has just become

by boxfiddler ·

a brand-new learning experience for me. Moving from the Midwest to the deep South changes just about everything.

I won’t be getting to food gardening at all this season. Caregiver issues to get in hand before attempting gardening at that level.

One of the first things I’ll bring down here once I get home with the truck is the composter I picked up last year. Nuttin’ but sand for soil here, so I’ll need to make lots and lots of compost to begin making over a plot for food gardening. I’ll also need to wait until the cooler part of the year for most food gardening. Thinking November through March is the best for that.

Fruits are a new thing, for sure. That needs investigating, depending on how long I’ll be here.

In the meantime, I’m going to plant orange, lime, ruby-red grapefruit, and avocado trees once the rainy season gets underway, May-ish I read. And I’m looking for live oaks. They’re huge and gorgeous and great shade providers, which this place needs. There’s also, a very tall, narrow, piney looking tree I see a lot that I’d like to add to the landscape. As soon as I figure out what it is. :^0

There’s a spot in front where I’ll plant some mandevilla to let climb and go nuts. Pretty thing, mandevilla. I’ve not messed with it at home because it doesn’t survive Midwest winters.

I’ve always loved tropicals as house plants back home. I’m going to have a field day landscaping this place. 😀

As far as I’ve gotten for this Spring. We’ll see what the next few months bring. I’ll sure have some very different pictures to post this year.

Happy Gardening! :0

edit
      We’ll be sodding the back yard back home for ease of maintenance. I won’t be sodding over the bird garden, however. Dunno who I’ll get to keep the bug waters and birdbath fresh and full. We’ll be swapping off turns down here for the near future, beginning in June. Maybe I’ll be able to talk a neighbor into checking them. We’ll have someone mow front and back every couple weeks for now. Lots of revamp work to do on that place, whether we rent or sell. Hopefully, we won’t have to do either.

Oh, you have a real challenge

by av . ·

In reply to Gardening has just become

The first thing I would have to get over is the bugs. Eek! I’m sure I would eventually get used to them, but what a transition period! My heart goes out to you.

You should seriously consider some limited container gardening. You can get some good yields out of two pots with green bean plants, for example. Enough to feed 2 people, maybe not a family of 4.

Sandy soil is tough to deal with, but I think you have the right approach. I’ve used raised planter beds with good soil, but they aren’t deep enough to accommodate many food plants, like root veggies. They only work for lettuces and plants with shallow roots. My big container pots can accommodate things likes carrots and the potato bags are good. I got about 10lbs of red potatoes last year out of one bag. Even my container pots couldn’t grow lima beans last year or broccoli. It was a no show.

I’ve never seen a Mandevilla. It must be beautiful, I’ll have to look it up on Google.

I’ve always loved those Bella Palms in the house. They look so great in an empty corner and it makes you feel like you’re in the tropics. It would be nice to have plants like that indoors. No way where I live.

I would go with a neighbor checking the birdbaths, but its a not so nice job, as I’m sure you know. I bought a waterhouse for one area of my garden. Its pretty low maintenance. Basically, the rain keeps it filled and it hangs in a tree. It dries out if there isn’t that much rain, but all you do is add water and the best thing is that birds can drink, but not bathe and do other things in it.

AV

You are so right on the bugs.

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to Oh, you have a real challenge

Eeewww… The spiders are driving me fruit right now. Monster wolf spiders. Good guys, I know. But effing huge. Give me the freaking creeps. Damned things only come out at night. And the palmetto bugs. Blech. And holy cow. The size of the centipedes and millipedes. Damned things could eat me if I passed out drunk enough. :0 I shake out my clothes before putting them on, look in my shoes before putting them on… Ooooh. And grasshoppers. Monster freaking grasshoppers. I’m going to have to find a good systemic of some kind. They eat everything in sight except for the Bermuda grass and weeds.

Speaking of bugs. I need to learn who the good guys and bad guys are. And set up a birdbath, and some bug baths. Find out what to plant to attract the good guys. I think that will be my first order of business, along with trees. Not one freaking tree on this place. The folks were scared of fire and took every last one out. Geeminy. Living life in submission to fear isn’t living.

edit
          You know, my soil back home is still a little too ‘clay-ey’ deep enough for things like carrots and potatoes, but I bet it might not take much in the way of topsoil as an amendment in conjunction with compost to grow decent carrots and potatoes this season. Hmmm…
          I might add that strawberry pyramid to what I bring down right off the bat, too. It could be dry enough most of the year that I wouldn’t have to bother about mold as much. Ya got me thinkin’, AV! 😀

Wolf Spiders? (YIKES)!

by av . ·

In reply to You are so right on the bugs.

And they’re nocturnal :_| You poor thing! I had one in the house here once. It was big and hairy and actually a little bigger than my vacuum tube. I always keep my vacuum handy after seeing that thing. When I tried to suck him up though, he was hanging on with his legs to the vacuum tube so he wouldn’t get sucked in. I got him in the end, but I didn’t trust that he wouldn’t somehow get out of that vacuum and come looking for me, so I threw the whole vacuum outside and got poor hubby to deal with it.

I’ve gotten pretty good with big bugs over the years, but I wouldn’t like seeing Wolf Spiders on a regular basis. They’re tough to deal with.

My rule is, if they’re outside the house they live, inside they’re dead meat. I know, it isn’t exactly an environmentalist attitude, but I have my limits. I’ve been bitten by some spiders and its nothing to dismiss. They took a chunk of me. Its hard to believe, but as far as spiders go, I take a hard line.

What the heck is a bug bath? A blank canvas. Thats very cool. You can create your own environment. Plant some trees you like and enjoy them, come what may.

AV

Bug bath…

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to Wolf Spiders? (YIKES)!

Smallish containers holding water and rocks on the ground for the bugs to get water. Funny thing is, with a couple of the deeper ones, the birds use the heck out of them. 😀

Here’s a couple of them:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/juphol1/GARDENING%20FOR%20WILDLIFE/Photo48.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/juphol1/GARDENING%20FOR%20WILDLIFE/P1010031.jpg

edit
          I’m seriously considering having the house treated, and continuing treatment regularly, for bugs. Eeewww…
          Outside, fine. Inside? NO.

I never thought of trying something like that

by av . ·

In reply to Bug bath…

I have some good bugs. I think Michael Jay would even be impressed with some of the Wood Spiders we have up here. They are smart as hell and very impressive with their strategies. We have some great tree spiders and their webs are beautiful. Sometimes I can’t open the windows because one of them has made a huge web outside. Its a great show.

We even had a pink and white polka-dot spider outside a window last year. Probably a tree spider, but big and beautiful.

AV

Thunder

by boxfiddler ·

just doesn’t sound ‘right’ down here, either. Flat thunder is… not thundery. 🙁

Well I’m not going there Davette

by hal 9000 ·

But I’ll try to get some photos before winter sets in of the new plants. :p

Col

yay, the spam is gone and i can post

by seanferd ·

Uhhhhh. Awesome thread. This sounds like an interesting spring. 😀
      (Pretty lame after waiting to post, and not much of a contribution.)
      I’ll just enjoy the gardening vicariously from my corner.

@Boxy – LOL

by seanferd ·

Not to be the wet blanket in all things, but I think this thread would go better as a Discussion. No? Question thread format is questionable.

I started a discussion, seanferd.

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to @Boxy – LOL

Water Cooler is accessible as Discussion or Question. If you open WC stuff while in Questions, it shows in Question format… 😉

Still waiting to get the garden back…

by ansugisalas ·

It looked promising last week, but then we had more snow, and more -10 C nights.
      Everything is still depressingly white.
      Except where the dog poo has had it’s way.
      We now have to puppies, both fawn pugs, aged 7 months and 3 months.
      One is house trained… the other not so much. We get a lot of wet sock surprises.
      I didn’t do it!

I’m pretty fascinated with this Eagle webcam

by av . ·

Two eagles with a hatchling and an egg about to hatch. The parents have been handing off duties to each other. Its just amazing to watch.

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

Every now and then, you get to see the baby Eaglet.

AV

This just caught my eye,

by boxfiddler ·

on FaceBook, no less. http://strawbalegardens.com/
      Might have to hunt me down some straw bales with which to experiment. 😀

I like that alot

by av . ·

In reply to This just caught my eye,

I have old straw bales from my autumn displays. I usually get rid of them. Thats interesting. I thought they had no value, but apparently they do.

AV

I think they would be excellent

by av . ·

In reply to This just caught my eye,

You know what I remember about them? At the end of the autumn season when I went to get rid of them, they were so heavy, I couldn’t move them. They were filled with water from the rain. I might have to try one myself this year. For certain kinds of plants, that would be a plus.

Good idea, Boxy! Very exciting.

AV

Its potato time

by av . ·

I got my seed potatoes today. 2lbs of red potato starters. I’m going to plant two potato bags this weekend, if it doesn’t rain. I have some root vegetable fertilizers that I hope will excite the existing soil in the bag. I will mix in some new soil too.

Supposedly, potatoes like growing in cooler dirt, so now is the time when I should do it. We’ll see, if it results to a bigger yield per bag. Last year, I planted them later and it was already warm. I could have gotten 13lbs. per bag, but I think I only got 10 last year.

AV

Edit: added this weekend

Potato sounds good.

by seanferd ·

In reply to Its potato time

I’d love to be able to try growing them sometime. Used to get fantastic carrots, but pulling them from the clay could be quite an exercise.

Homegrown potatoes are the best

by av . ·

In reply to Potato sounds good.

They are so tender and creamy on their own. Its a big difference between the homegrown stuff and what you buy in the supermarket. They’re easy to grow, but they get huge vines, like 6 ft. long. You have to use a mounding technique which is basically, you start with the seed potatoes in lower soil in the bag and as the vines grow, you pile on more dirt. Its a work-in progress until you fill up the bag with dirt. These are the bags I use. http://www.gardeners.com/Potato-Bin/36-629RS,default,pd.html

I like to use succession planting, so I’ll plant one bag this weekend and maybe next week or the week after, I’ll plant another bag. That way, you have potatoes all season. I do the same thing with string beans (bush beans). I grow my string beans in several large pots planted at different times.

Ditto for carrots. One big pot can give you lots of carrots and you control the dirt. They’re not huge, but almost fork tender when you take them out.

You could try it. I grow carrots from seeds in pots and was never disappointed. They always grow well.

I use mostly pots and raised planter beds because gardening is difficult where I live. I need to be able to move plants around to get the best sunlight and keep them away from the wildlife.

AV

I added some tropicals

by boxfiddler ·

as house plants over the past couple three days. Got a red anthurium, a small-leaved Peace Lily, pothos and philodendron, corydalis, multi-colored schefflera, some Aloe Vera, and a thing I don’t know the name of that is pretty. I also repotted the poor, sad, little poinsettia that was fighting valiantly for life when I got here and placed it in a brighter location. I’ll add a few more as I come across things I like.

There are quite a few snowbushes that survived a certain someone’s hacking away at them and what looks like a good dry spell. Some ferns out front are happy. And Bird of Paradise. The BOP’s in back under the spell of the full sun aren’t as happy, but they’re greening with the rain. There’s a lot of lemon grass here that we gave her a few years ago. I hope to divide most of it and move the divisions to various places around the yard. We also gave her some crinnum (sp?) a few years ago that is doing well. I should be able to divide those and move the divisions. I’d like to get some eucalyptus, and some giant Bird-of-Paradise for outside to get started out there. I’d like to add some cannas. Won’t have to dig them up every fall. I like that idea.

I’m still shopping trees, and haven’t even gotten around to figuring out what that tall, thin, piney looking thing is that I mentioned earlier. I’ve seen a grey-green leaved palm of some kind that I like, too.

Haven’t seen a birdbath that I like. 🙁

I’m still shopping for the house. MIL didn’t cook. I ‘need’ a lot of kitchen things yet. There’s a ‘junk room’ that needs to be packed up and stashed and/or pitched so as to empty it. I could use an office. Maybe put a hide-a-bed in there so’s maybe we can have company sometimes.

edit
      snowbush images:
      http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/68138/

Snowbush Shrub Leaves Prettier Than Flowers

How about

by santeewelding ·

In reply to I added some tropicals

A Sequoia? Freak out everybody after you’re dead.

Cooking and kitchen stuff? I just spent the last hour separating what I personally need and what I don’t socially need from two big boxes. Most, I don’t. Finally gave up on the idea of providing for the improvident when we all are “nine meals away” from nothing. Saved only enough for two. Cost too much to ship the rest.

Sequoia sempervirens

by seanferd ·

In reply to How about

It’s hexaploid. Very cool. Potatoes are also polyploid. Is there a polyploidy conspiracy here?

I like those snowbushes

by av . ·

Its not what I thought it would look like, but they’re pretty. I have several Pothos and they are pretty adaptable to anything. I’d love to have Bird of Paradise, but I don’t think it would work up here.

I do have lemon grass growing in a small pot. It survived the winter in my house. I originally grew it to cook with, but its kind of ornamental so I never ended up using it that way (at least not yet). I imagine it must be pretty invasive down south. Its hardy.

Birdbaths are hard to find. On the ground, my favorite birdbath is plastic. Its just a basic thing, but I can bleach it when it gets out of control. The stone ones are hard to keep clean, if they are not glazed. I use a scrub brush on them, but they are a pain.

Its fun shopping for kitchen stuff. Cooking.com has some good things. What a whole lot of work, though, moving into a new place.

I have to think about what kind of tree would thrive in your soil. Hmm.

AV

Snow bushes do well potted, too.

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to I like those snowbushes

They need a lot of light. They stand up to minor neglect. They don’t take well to being too wet.

I know I don’t have enough light for them

by av . ·

In reply to Snow bushes do well potted, too.

Its the woods up here. A little sun, part shade. They are lovely though. If I lived where you do, I’d grow them.

AV

What kind of cones would this tree have?

by seanferd ·

I might be able to narrow it down. Lots of branches or more sparse? Branches hang level, point up, or hang down?

I don’t know if it has cones.

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to What kind of cones would this tree have?

I haven’t been close enough to one to see whether or not it’s even a pine. It just resembles one. I can say that the only ones I see appear to be deliberately planted. The undeveloped areas around here don’t have them, that I can see.

I’ll try to snatch a pic the next time I’m in the vicinity of one. As soon as I get comfortable with a temporarily bizarre and time-consuming arrangement re: handling three homes (2 long distance), I’m going nursery hopping. 😀

edit
          I’m fairly knowledgeable Midwest-wise. I’m going to have to get knowledgeable Southwise. I could stand to learn more. 🙂

Okey doke.

by seanferd ·

In reply to I don’t know if it has cones.

I wish you the best in your discovery of Floridian Flora. Hopefully you’ll meet some interesting people who are into gardening/landscaping.

As threatened above

by hal 9000 ·

Here are some photos of the newest weeds before they look crappy for winter.

A Nepenthes Hybrid
      http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00597.jpg

A closer look at one of it’s pitchers
      http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00598.jpg

Another different Nepenthes Hybrid and it’s pitcher
      http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00596.jpg
      http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00595.jpg

Yet another nepenthes Hybrid pitcher
      http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00602.jpg

Some nepenthes
      http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00599.jpg
      http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00601.jpg
      http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00600.jpg
      http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00604.jpg
      http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00603.jpg

A VFT
      http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00606.jpg

Some Sarracenia Hybrids
      http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00609.jpg
      http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00608.jpg
      http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00607.jpg

And finally some Nepenthes Ventrecosia Pitchers
      http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00605.jpg

Just the right type of weeds to get rid of bugs around the house.

And the overgrown mess is because the broken leg that I have is preventing me from getting into the gardening. 🙁

The uneven ground is a killer. :8}

Col

I needs me somma those

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to As threatened above

in every room of this house. Bugs galore, here. :0
        Do any of these emit a fragrance (pleasant or otherwise)?

Thank you for the pics, HAL. I finally got to look at them without spending days at it. :p

Boxy, those are leaves not flowers.

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to I needs me somma those

So what I posted pictures of don’t have any Fragrance but if you like smells the Nepenthes Flower has a most defiant unforgettable oder.

This is a Female Nepenthes Flower Spike from earlier this year/growing season

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00539.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00540.jpg

So that they can get pollinated they emit a very enticing smell that attracts ants and flying insects. The idea is that the insects come from the male flower to the female flower in their thousands.

Personally I wouldn’t have them in a confined space though as the first time you smell one of these flowers it will leave a [b]Unforgettable Imprint[/b] on your mind. They are very strong in the open and I’m not silly enough to even consider them in a confined space as they smell like some form of Rotting Meat. :^0

The Sarracenia have a more interesting looking flower

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00488.jpg

And while I personally can’t smell them I’m reliably informed that they are supposed to have a pleasant Smell and survive quite well as Cut Flowers. Personally I’ve never tried them like that but that is mainly because I used to breed them and the flowers where more useful to me on the plant. 😉

The Drosera are supposed to have a lovely flower and a pleasant smell but they are tiny flowers and delicate so you would needs lots of them to have any effect on a room. But on the up side they flower most of the growing season.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00471.jpg

The VFT’s shouldn’t be allowed to flower as it sets the plant back dramatically and most people will have them die after flowering.

But both the Sarracenia and Nepenthes are very effective Traps with most of the Sarracenia’s filling up in a few days of opening and because they are from your part of the world or at least fairly close by they should grow without too much trouble your way and they don’t smell when they are full of insects.

The Nepenthes are a Tropical Pitcher Plant so are unlikely to be much use to you as they would need more specialized growing environment.

Though the West Australian Pitcher Plant [i]CEPHALOTUS FOLLICULARIS[/i] may be easy enough to grow in your area if you can get any. They grow in sandy soils around Albany WA which is down South and fairly dry and while a native of AU they do have small pitchers during summer and plain leaves during Winter.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/CEPHALOTUSFOLLICULARIS.jpg

Their flowers are small whitish and a very complex arraignment there is one in the lower right hand corner here

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/cepfol300.jpg

Neither of those CEPHALOTUS FOLLICULARIS are mine as [b]SWMBO[/b] will not allow me to get any at the moment. Not so much cost but it’s who I would have to deal with to get them, she thinks that I would get back into the Carnivorous Plants in a big way again so I’m not allowed anywhere near them. 🙁

There are the Fly Paper Traps the Sundew’s which have sticky leaves but unless you go for the very large ones you are looking at small insects only. If you want something bigger a Nepenthes Rajah had the remains of a Spider Monkey in it when found in the wild so while requiring Special Growing Conditions it has the ability to take bigger prey if you grow them for a few years.

Probably your better option are Sarracenia or Darlingtonia which are native to the US and should be easily got your way. The Cobra Lilly probably would be the better for you though I find them very hard to grow, But as I live in a Semi Tropical Climate they are not ideal plants here. They need a cool root run and like to be frozen in Winter but again I wouldn’t go overboard with the freezing. Here is a picture of them in the wild it’s impressive. 😉

http://www.sarracenia.com/photos/darlingtonia/darlicalif021.jpg

Col

Thank you, Col.

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to Boxy, those are leaves not flowers.

I very much appreciate the detail and recommendations. I’ll probably have to do some hunt and seek, as the only carnivorous plants one usually comes across easily are VFTs. I’d prefer things that suck up larger bugs. :0

I don’t want to go the Orkin/bug spray route. But geeminy, there’s some damned bugs down here. :_|

The Orkin man is your friend

by av . ·

In reply to Thank you, Col.

About 4 years ago, we got infested with Cave Crickets. We tried to take care of it ourselves and it just didn’t work, so we ended up calling an exterminator. It was the best money I ever spent.

I haven’t needed to have it done again. Bugs are still under control. Down south, you might need to have it done more often than me, but its worth it so you can sleep easy.

AV

Cobra lililies?

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Boxy, those are leaves not flowers.

Them’s Triffids! Aaaagh! :0

No they are not

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Cobra lililies?

A Triffid moved about and killed people.

A Cobra Lilly is way smaller and has a Closed Top with a Small Entry.

The Trumpet Pitcher Plants AKA Sarracenia was the basis of the Triffid and it was actually a Sarracenia Lucphillia a White Top with Red Veins between the white blotches.

Remember I’m a HAL 9000 and I want to kill Boxy I wouldn’t begin to consider allowing somethign else the pleasure. :p

You can not honestly think for a single [b]Nanosecond[/b] that I don’t want to open a Air Lock door on Boxy can you? :0

[i]edited to add[/i] any typo’s are the result of me using 7 at the moment. :p

Col 0:-)

Yeah, those are sweet.

by seanferd ·

I got an email alert since I decided to follow your photobucket a while back.

Is that creepy? Should I stop? :0 :^0

OK I’ll admit that it’s scary

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Yeah, those are sweet.

Perhaps some treatment is in order here. 😀

I’m very good at providing [b]Aversion Therapy[/b] I just inflict a small amount of pain on the afflicted person till they stop wanting to do things. I prefer a large hammer which is far more Humane than the Medical Professionals who enjoy inflicting pain on the people. :0

I got the idea from The Goodies a while ago and it works very well :^0

Col

LOL

by seanferd ·

In reply to OK I’ll admit that it’s scary

Keep your screwdrivers away from me. I always have a Black Pudding Stick handy. :^0

Yep those Black Puddings

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to LOL

Where terribly effective.

[b]Ekky Thump[/b] if I remember correctly. :^0

Col

Hah!

by seanferd ·

In reply to Yep those Black Puddings

I had entirely forgotten this most satisfying sound.

Love those Pitchers

by av . ·

Especially the Nepenthes Ventrecosia Pitchers. The bugs don’t have a chance with that.

I’m sorry to hear you have a broken leg. Ouch. Thats a lot of down time for you. I hope you recover quickly.

Even your VFT is just pristine and so healthy. We have some anemic looking ones we can buy up here. Once it has a fly or some other bug, though, it begins to look like a weird science experiment.

Feel better soon!

AV

Well when VFT’s trap something

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Love those Pitchers

They have a growth Spurt so they start to look really good. 😉

Unfortunately they need to trap living things for the trap to fully close so feeding them is out of the question. Unlike the Nepenthes and Sarracenia’s they can be feed if you like but as I’m [b]LAZY[/b] I just don’t bother.

The broken leg came about due entirely to TR’s Site Redesign I walked away in Disgust and fell on the front steps and broke the leg. At the moment I’m in the process of Suing the Web Developers that TR uses. [b]Honest.[/b] :^0

Actually it’s a nasty break right up the top of the Femur where the muscles connect, and they can not immobilize it so I just have to put up with the pain and suffering. But at least you know immediately when you have done something wrong. 🙁

Hopefully as I’m now waling around without crutches it will be OK soon. It’s just uneven ground now that I find more than a bit difficult. Though I have not been for a Bike Ride since I broke it hardly unsurprising but I wonder just how I’ll go when I feel up to the task. I’ll probably fall off the bike and break it again. 😉

Col

Oh, that shucks

by av . ·

In reply to Well when VFT’s trap something

There is nothing worse than uneven ground when you have an injury like that. Take it easy on that bike or pay the price!

I know this site redesign has affected everyone differently, some more so than others.

Anytime I’ve ever fed a fly to a VFT up here, they don’t seem to get the nutrition like you’re talking about. They have a dark spot (the fly) that you can see and it never seems to go away. It mars the beauty of the plant. Your VFT’s are almost succulent looking after eating. Whats their secret, LOL? Maybe the one’s I’ve been buying are close to dead.

AV

My Secret?????

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Oh, that shucks

Set and forget. Maybe throw a bit or water at them occasionally and use a WaterWell Pot. 😉

Col

You got the climate

by av . ·

In reply to My Secret?????

Its tough for a VFT up here in the Northeast US. They no likee.

AV

May be…

by boxfiddler ·

but I ain’t eatin’ no damned bugs. :-&

Think, delicacy

by santeewelding ·

In reply to May be…

With no trans-fats.

You also don’t have to shoot them…

No.

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to May be…

I ain’t eatin’ no damned bugs. And I’m about to get the yard man to add some environmentally friendly, good bug friendly soil treatment to his regime. My skin has been crawling since I got here.

My potato experiment

by av . ·

Well, I was all ready to plant my seed potatoes today in my potato bags, but I don’t think the sprouts (eyes) are big enough. They’re just starting out. I’m not sure what will work best, so I’m going to try three different growing methods with them and I’ll see which one is the most effective and prolific in the end.

I have 2lbs of smallish red seed potatoes. I’m going to cut some in half and dry out the pieces for 2-4 days before planting. According to the seed company, this should work as long as I have 2-3 eyes on the piece. Its supposed to produce more yield.

On some potatoes I’m going to use a process called chitting. Thats when you put the seed potatoes in a cold, but not freezing place near a window with northern exposure. They should be totally exposed to the light. Supposedly, after a week or two, you will have decent sprouts. I’m using an egg carton for the potatoes and placing them near the window on an unheated mud porch.

I will plant the remaining potatoes as is. I may wait a week to do that so they have more prominent eyes.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, and the reward in the end is lots of creamy, tasty, organic potatoes.

I didn’t know this until I did some research, but supermarket potatoes are sprayed with inhibitor chemicals to prevent the eyes from sprouting. OMG! When I read that, I had to ask myself, what am I eating? I’m glad I usually peel them after reading that. I will never eat potato skins again unless I grew the potato. Looks like theres a lot more in the skin aside from vitamins. :O

I’m looking forward to your reporting.

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to My potato experiment

I’ll expect detailed, maplike drawings, with arrows and all. :^0

While you’re at it

by santeewelding ·

In reply to My potato experiment

Eight-by-ten glossies and a rendition of Alice’s Restaurant.

Don’t forget the implements of destruction.

by seanferd ·

In reply to While you’re at it

Very little gardening can be done without the implements of destruction.

I figured out what the creepy, grey, life-sucking bug is

by boxfiddler ·

with the help of BFilmFan. Assassin bug. Here’s a pic. Warning, not for the faint-hearted. Took four to six of these boogers all day yesterday to suck that caterpillar down to the sized of medium weight string. :0

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/juphol1/FL%202011/AssassinBugs.jpg

Gross!

by av . ·

In reply to I figured out what the creepy, grey, life-sucking bug is

Perfect name for that bug. I’d have the Orkin man in there, pronto!

AV

I guess

by av . ·

In reply to Check out Assassin Bugs.

It would be ok if they stayed outside. Otherwise, I’d have to get out the trusty vacuum.

I don’t know if I would ever get used to living with all the bugs down there. When I was dating my hubby many years ago, he lived in Florida on one of the canals outside of Coral Gables. Most people there had an exterminator in several times a year, but of course, he didn’t. The place was always loaded with Palmetto bugs and lizards. I never slept a wink when I went down there, but I was young and in love, so I put up with it. He used to ask me why I was so nervous. I’m glad he moved back up north where the bugs are less prolific.

AV

They may be a human disease vector (or reservoir).

by seanferd ·

In reply to I guess

I have absolutely no idea as to what it is assassin bugs might carry, but I saw them on a list of species which do or may have a part in human diseases.

All you have to do is get bit by one of them

by av . ·

In reply to They may be a human disease vector (or reservoir).

I’ve been bit by quite a few bugs, and most of them are poisonous enough to give you 10 days of antibiotics. I would think its the same deal for Assassin bugs. I always get bit by something because I garden. If it isn’t the bugs, its the weeds. I have to post a picture of my most deadly looking, unusual weed. I won’t touch it. A pink stem with thorns. No way I’m touching that.

AV

There’s a South American branch of the family

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to They may be a human disease vector (or reservoir).

commonly called ‘kissing bug’ that is a disease vector. As far as I can find out, North American varieties aren’t dangerous to humans. These don’t look at all like Midwest assassin bugs. I have a mess of them back home, too. Glad I do, they keep a lot of garden pests down.

*sighs* So much to learn. (I generally enjoy learning, but I have an attitude at the moment… :0 )

I remember the kissing bugs

by av . ·

In reply to There’s a South American branch of the family

I had a vacation once during kissing bug seaon and they were pretty much all over the place. Hang in there. Maybe theres a way to keep them at bay.

AV

Daffodils

by av . ·

Last fall, I planted 100 mixed Daffodil bulbs and they finally bloomed! They are so pretty, I thought I’d share some pictures. I’m not sure exactly what type of Daffodils they are, but they’re all beautiful.

This one smells like sweet perfume.
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s305/mfrancese/TR%20Garden%20Club/4826ec45.jpg

These are miniature Daffodils
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s305/mfrancese/TR%20Garden%20Club/427da104.jpg

Pink Cup Daffodils
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s305/mfrancese/TR%20Garden%20Club/2b843858.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s305/mfrancese/TR%20Garden%20Club/f28b81e0.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s305/mfrancese/TR%20Garden%20Club/cbfad7b4.jpg

AV

Edit: I made a mess out of this post. Photobucket changed some things and I had to make a few adjustments.

Where would we be

by santeewelding ·

In reply to Daffodils

Without daffodils and people who care about daffodils?

We’d be screwed; that is where we would be.

Lets see if I can post today

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Daffodils

Great pictures AV pity I forgot what i posted that ended up in the Bit Bucket yesterday. 🙁

Col

So lovely, AV.

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to Daffodils

I missed all the Spring blooming back home.

I have been houseplant busy, here. I potted up three very large plants, an elephant ear, and a couple of palms in ~2 foot tall urns. They look great. And I’ve placed some things on the back porch. It will be awhile before I can address the landscape. But I have been checking into natural pest deterrents, adding bay tree and clove tree (if they’ll grow here), gobs of lemon grass, and garlic to the ‘must have’ list.

Oh, sweet.

by seanferd ·

In reply to Daffodils

Great photos and flowers, those.

I’ve been trying to enjoy the spring bloom, but it just won’t stop raining!

Thank you Santee

by av . ·

I really appreciate that. I always like to plant new things and help them take root. I love Daffodils because the wildlife don’t eat them. They’re the perfect flowers, for me.

AV

This week the last of the snow melted off our yard…

by ansugisalas ·

There’s still piles of it on the north side of all the hills, but the ground seems to have thawed out early this year. Usually we get “routa”, the ground freezing solid, a meter down… but I guess all the snow had the beneficial effect of insulating the ground from the frost – very effectively. Same with the sea ice, it doesn’t grow strong if the snow falls on top of it too soon.
      Anyway, back to our garden: We took the boxes we planted strawberries in last year out of storage – and much to our surprise they had twenty centimeter long seeker shoots; almost completely white shoots going straight up looking for sunshine. Since we’d kept them unfrozen through the winter I actually expected them to be either dried out or moldy or both… but nothing like that. We’ve taken them out into the sunshine and they’re already turning green after three days.

And today we started making a flowerbed … this is our first spring in this place, so this is just the beginning. Today I dug out the lawn and piled on the soil… now begins the laying of the stone borders. I bought 250 kgs of yellow sandstone-like natural rocks, but that’s probably only going to be enough for a beginning.

I have an unwanted guest in my garden

by av . ·

The GOPHER! I am under attack and my previous defenses are not working with this new breed of Gopher.

You know those potatoes I cut up so I could get more yield? Well, the wildlife apparently love that and they ate some of the seed potatoes I cut up. VARMINTS! Here’s my lesson. Don’t EVER cut up your seed potatoes because the wildlife like it. The potato bag with the whole potatoes was untouched.

I haven’t seen anything yet from the wildflower seeds I planted. I think I’m going to have to be patient, but I hope they took. There wasn’t any digging around the areas I planted them, so I’m hoping the seeds are still intact.

My raised planter bed got attacked by a Squirrel, I think. He was digging for nuts and mixed up all the seeds. It looks like a crazy person planted the seeds because they are no longer in neat rows. I left it alone because things are coming up. I’m just not sure what they are at the moment.

Oh well. The best laid plans of mice and men . . .

Time for me to join the garden club

by nexs ·

I now have a garden. Until the house sells!

I’ll try and get a photo to share with y’all!
      😀

Oh, do.

by seanferd ·

In reply to Time for me to join the garden club

Show us the ephemeral garden!

It was

by nexs ·

In reply to Oh, do.

A garden made for the purposes of selling the house.
          Unfortunately I can’t live there anymore – I can’t afford to buy the ex’s share of the equity…
          So, a-gardening we shall go!

That would be great

by av . ·

Anything you’d like to share would be nice.

AV

So…

by nexs ·

So, one of my kangaroopaws has crossed over. I have a feeling it was never very healthy from day one, but I couldn’t save it.

The big one, though, is quite happy!

May 14th is Naked Gardening Day

by av . ·

Er…umm…uhhhh…

by jck ·

In reply to May 14th is Naked Gardening Day

No thanks? :^0

Okay well…if Natalie Morales asked…maybe B-)

I could

by boxfiddler ·

get away with that rather easily here. :^0

Nah, give ‘Mom’ ideas… She’s having issues in that regard as it is. 😐

Yea No Thanks thank you very much

by hal 9000 ·

Way too cold here that time of the year. :^0

While not cold enough to have things fall off Frozen Hard Nipples could leave nasty scratch marks in things. :p

Col

I did not know that

by michael jay ·

since it is now quite dark no one will notice anyway.

Using power tools and such could be a problem, I think I will hold off on gardening naked.

Home!

by boxfiddler ·

Wow. The ‘garden’ is a wreck. *sobs*

Fortunately, the weather has been great for working outdoors, so I’ve been ‘at it’ since Monday. It’s beginning to shape up nicely.

I yanked a shitload of lemon balm. Wow. Cleaned out around the currants, and rhododendrons I put in over the past couple years. The blackberries and blueberries I planted last fall survived the winter. 😀 The staghorn sumac I put in what, three years back? is looking real good. Spreading nicely, and getting tall. At the rate it’s moving deeper into my yard, it shouldn’t be long before Mr. Yahoo Yard Nazi is driving himself fruit over it. Still no staghorns… Maybe next year.

The poison ivy has gone wild without my picking it young all spring. Been bumping up against some patches with rather tall plants. I gave up in one zone, if I can’t find a ‘natural’ solution to that weed patch, I’ll break down and take the Round-Up to it. I put the cannas I pulled up in fall in pots, as when I took a look at them, they showed signs of life. I also had some dahlias showing signs of life, so potted them.

The climbing rose that Mr. Yahoo Yard Nazi hosed is looking pretty good. It may bloom. 🙂 And the lilacs look good. I had to spray them for lilac borers last year, and they should have been sprayed again back in March. I’ll have to hit them again in fall.

My echinacea patch is desperate need of help, and probably new blood. Thorny, sickening sweet smelling flowering locusts are coming up all over the yard. Poke is thick, but not quite unmanageable just yet. I’ve got a sweet mess of milk thistle that I’m thinking I won’t yank. Butterflies like it for egg laying and nectar, and goldfinches like it for seed.

The new garden around the mailbox is looking pretty good, except for the rhododendron. I’m not sure what the problem is, but it looks to be dying. I oughtta clip a section of it to take by the Botanical Garden. We’ll see.

Not gonna add anything to the yard this year. Be kinda silly to…

“All the news that isn’t… ” 😉

I have a small pot of chives on my windowsill.

by seanferd ·

In reply to Home!

Otherwise, I control little, but I do what I can get away with, against my own Yard Moron. (Building manager.) Who is your Yard Nazi? A neighbor? Maybe I need to read back over the old thread(s) again.

It sounds like you are progressing nicely. And from your account of the garden, I can only think of you as the Berry Queen. Awesome!

I don’t think you can fight the poison ivy and friends naturally. Or unnaturally, without the proper systemic poison. I’ve had my own ongoing war with it since childhood, and I can only thank Science and the Devil (agro-petro-chemical industry) for providing rather targeted systemic poisons. They friggin’ work.

“All the news that isn’t… ”

Relative to what? It is interesting, human, and contains better content than some of the dreck to which TR gives a platform. I mean, what you wrote makes sense, is well-written for the medium, and doesn’t contain gaping evidentiary holes and fallacies of logic.

IMHO, well fit to print.

Oh, and my poor tortured rose, ugly as sin, decided to bloom madly this year. Go figure. Maybe it was the incessant rain, somehow.

Good to hear that you’re back home

by av . ·

In reply to Home!

Its always amazing to me how good plants can get out of control and become so invasive. Its hard to keep up with unless you’re always weeding. Who has time for that?

Last year I had my lawn clean up guy pull out the poison ivy and it paid off this year. I have very little. I pulled out the other invasive vines I had last year and they didn’t come back, for the most part. :^0 I planted my blueberry bush and took it out of the pot. Not sure what the future holds for that, but no blueberries this year.

My potatoes are doing well in the bags. I’ve just been mounding the dirt as they grow. I’ll have less of a yield because I cut them into pieces and varmints ate the cuttings. Oh well, live and learn. My mixed lettuces have been doing great. Hydrangeas are very beautiful this year. I have string beans and snow pea pods that are doing very well in pots.

My Colorado wildflowers are not happening. I think this is what happened. I planted them in the early spring and then we had about 10 days of rain. The seeds moved around, because I live on a steep property in places. I do have wildflowers popping up, but I’m not sure if they are native plants or not.

So, what I’m going to do is plant more of the Colorado wildflower seeds in my raised bed. I saved some seeds. I know its a little late, but maybe I might get something to grow.

I transplanted my Rhododendron a couple of years ago and it was never quite right after that. Couldn’t bring it back to its former glory. Its good to hear that the mailbox area worked out for you, for the most part.

AV

Edited: Changed ” I saved some” to “I saved some seeds”.

"All the news that isn’t…"

by boxfiddler ·

A quote, from Michael Feldman, of ‘What Do You Know’ show fame.

I control as minimally as county law, and neighbors, permit. Mr. Yahoo Yard Nazi is a next-door neighbor who has been extremely problematic, downright ugly and intrusive, since he moved in.

Thank you. 🙂

So Davette

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to "All the news that isn’t…"

What???s wrong with taking pride in your yard and wanting others to do the same?

Of course the nice Yard with the Neighbors doesn???t do anything to improve the value of your place which is the Most Valuable Asset that most people have. :^0

That is all your neighbor is thinking about his own value of his house and yard and is it really expecting too much to have others do the same. 😉

Then I suppose there is the fact that neatly regimented yards mown to within a inch of their lives looks so so in my books and I do question the mentality of the people who have to outdo the neighbors. :p

Personally I rescued a Nepenthes yesterday from the local shop where they where trying to grow them like catus. The Peat Moss int he pot was harder than concrete and looked dryer. Took at least 12 hours being submerged in a bucket of water to get the potting mix wet but now that it???s been repotted in the middle of winter it???s looking as if it just might survive. 😀

Col

Well what can I say it’s Spring here finally

by hal 9000 ·

And while the US may be in Autumn here Spring has most defiantly sprung and the Carnivores are in flower. :p

Some N Ventroscia all the one plant but all growing tips are now producing Flower Spikes

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00622.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00612.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00613.jpg

a S Flava in Flower

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00614.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00621.jpg

Some Unknown Hybrid Saracenia’s sending up Flower Spikes

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00619.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00618.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00616.jpg

a S Purpura cooing out of winter dormancy and showing it’s first new growth of the season the flower spike

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00615.jpg

a S Lucphillia again showing the first new growth of the season a Flower Spike.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00617.jpg

The temps are slowly increasing and it’s becoming almost bearable only 25 C today though. 🙁

Col

Nice set of functional greens there!

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Well what can I say it’s Spring here finally

How many of those do you need to see a difference in the amount of bugs inside the house?
        Or would you need to have them inside to get that benefit?

Well once upon a time

by oh smeg ·

In reply to Nice set of functional greens there!

I have well in excess of 5K Square Feet of them in a Hot House and a Shade House crammed to the limits and I still have the wife and kids. [i]unfortunately[/i] 😉

However other than a Solar Powered Mozzie Zapper and in very wet weather here the occasional Mozzie Coil and a swag of Geckos we don’t have too many bugs inside the house. 😉

I only have a few plants now about 10 Nepenthes 2 pots of Sun Dew’s a sticky leaf plant a couple of VFT and about another 10 Sarra’s so I don’t really have many.

OK so one Sarra was recently re-potted into about 15 plants but they don’t count and I have quite a few Sarra Seeds which have germinated and are only about half an inch high again they don’t count.

Honestly Bush Turkeys are my problem. The bastard things come in early in the morning and dig up the plants. As they are a Protected Species here you can’t kill them either. 🙁

Besides the bees hanging around the Flowers when they are out and a heap of little flying bugs that hang around plants and some ants I really don’t see too many bugs. Though when I look in the traps there are a lot of dead ones in there. :p

Col

Nice pics, Col.

by boxfiddler ·

Thank you.
      It’s good to see that the TRGC hasn’t completely bit the dust. 🙂

Well with the [i]Massive[/i] increase in Site Traffic

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Nice pics, Col.

By the Spammers everything else seems to have all but disappeared and the Spammers are now the top of the posting list. I suppose that is what the PTB @ TR want more Site Traffic no matter what it is. 😀

Anyway when spring develops more and the plants start to grow I’ll post some more.

I’m still having trouble finding anywhere with some Albany Pitcher Plants in AU. Apparently being an AU Native I can not buy them here but can easily buy them in the UK. Makes some sort of sense in a perverted sort of way I suppose though I’m at a bit of a loss understanding it.

Hopefully this season I’ll find some so I can have them growing here. 😉

Col

And todays photos.

by hal 9000 ·

And another couple of days on

by hal 9000 ·

Well most of the Saracenia Flowers have now lost their petals and are in the process of producing seed but here are todays photos.

S Hybrid

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00642.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00643.jpg

Another Saracenia Flower yet to open

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00644.jpg

And finally the Flava’s are growing now that they have finished producing flowers they had properly formed and open Pitchers

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00645.jpg

Col

WOW!

by av . ·

In reply to And another couple of days on

You have some great flowers, Col. I love the Flava’s. They are all just perfect.

I thought it was just the beginning of Spring down there, but it must be fairly warm to have plants like that so soon. What is your Spring like anyway? I’m thinkin’ that its probably a lot warmer than where I live.

AV

Well AV it’s not overly hot yet

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to WOW!

Only around the 29C temp with very low Humidity so it’s still quite bearable.

Also the time between Sunrise and Sunset is still only about 11 hours currently so we have a bit more time before things start to get hot.

But with the Sarracenia’s they throw up the Flower Spikes first and then after the Flowers open they start to send up leaves/pitchers. The Nepenthes Ventroscia has a Flower Spike on every growing tip but as it’s the only one in flower and it’s female I’ll not have any seed this year. 🙁

On the other hand the Sarracenia seeds that I threw down in winter have started to germinate and are growing so I have a few Sarracenia seedlings just starting to throw up small pitchers. They start with 2 flat leaves and then the third one is a Pitcher admittedly very small but none the less a distinct pitcher.

Even the VFT’s are throwing up Flower Spikes which I’ll have to get eager and pinch out as they knock the plants around way too much if you let them flower.

Earlier this week I broke up the S. Phicinita into about 15 plants and all are showing new growth with several new pitchers making an appearance. before that it wasn’t showing any signs of growth. They seem to be coming along nicely so by mid summer there should be quite a few weeds that I’ll have to work out what I’m going to do with. The Nepenthes needs re potting but I’ll wait till it’s flower spikes have passed and then break it up a bit before putting it into a much bigger pot. It’s been in that one for about 3 years now so it’s bound to be a little pot bound. 😀

The other Nepenthes are growing quite well particularly the small seedlings/cuttings that the Wifes Daughter bought me last year. They are currently overgrown by ferns and have increased in size by about 200% so I’ll need to pot them up latter as well.

But you know what they say so much to do and so little time that things will get left till it’s way past what they needed doing before it gets done. :^0

I do however like [b]SWMBO[/b] attitude I asked her to get a bigger pot for the Ventroscia so she came back with a really big pot and said I got the pot you can pay for the peat moss. It only going to take about half a bail of peat to fill. 😀

Col

Very nice.

by seanferd ·

In reply to And another couple of days on

And since I “follow” your ‘Bucket postings, I had to find this thread to compliment you on the photogs and the gardening. I especially like the “weed”. :^0

Moving

by boxfiddler ·

to FL unnecessary. Means I’ll try to put a ‘really good’ till on the yard within the next couple weeks. 🙂 Effectively rotating crops in a small space is difficult. I’ll probably go to ‘lawn’ for a few years. I’d like to do something about the front lawn. We’ll see. Spend time taking back my fencelines. Lose a failure of a compost pile (too much shade). I’d like to experiment with raised beds, AV. 🙂 I still have that strawberry pyramid to put together. I was going to take it south with me, but I don’t have to any more.

I can’t wait to retake the yard and arbor. Particularly the arbor. Mmm… mmm…

Would this mean

by santeewelding ·

In reply to Moving

The hammock?

Have you thought of a composter bin?

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Moving

They have these insulated ones that keep working through winter… gets rid of a lot of foodmaking remains that way. They also don’t care about the amount of sunlight.

Yes.

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to Have you thought of a composter bin?

I have a composting tumbler. Had planned to deal with the failed ‘pile’ last year, but circumstance refused to cooperate.

Obviously

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Yes.

it has developed consciousness.
          Using jedi mind tricks on you.
          This is not the heap you’re looking for!

Everything looks good on an arbor

by av . ·

In reply to Moving

I’ve seen Wisteria on an arbor and it was absolutely gorgeous, but the arbor had a hard time supporting the weight. I love arbors. They’re just so charming. Even just vines are great, like English Ivy or Myrtle.

I had good luck with my raised beds, with greens. I tried growing root veggies like carrots and beets and it wasn’t deep enough. My raised beds are way-convenient, but slightly fragile. Its all pretty good though for a kitchen garden, you don’t have to bend down to tend your garden. I like it.

I grew some strawberries this year, but my resident Catbird ate them all while I was at work. Damn! The Catbird and I have a love/hate relationship. Defintely get some bird netting, I didn’t have it.

AV

Wisteria.

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to Everything looks good on an arbor

That’s what’s on this arbor. Put it near a tree on purpose, because Wisteria is so heavy. I have to keep it hard trimmed, but it’s gorgeous. At the base of the tree, outside the arbor, is peony. Delishus stuff, that, too. 🙂

We dug up a flower bed that the previous owners had built…

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Wisteria.

It was made with concrete tiles and its bottom was sealed off with that kind of really tough filter fabric. We dug it up to plant peonies.
          Under the fabric, all pressed against it, we found red shoots, however old, but alive.

Peonies 🙂

Now you’ve done it.

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to Everything looks good on an arbor

Davette

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Now you’ve done it.

What have you got against Men @ Work?

That song cost them a lot of money recently. 😉

Next you’ll be telling me to take more photos of the _Lesbian Nepenthes that I have growning here won’t you? :^0

And as I sit here just about to post this I hear [b]Hello Little One you want some meat do you?[/b] Sounds as if the baby magpies are back wanting to be feed yet again. :^0

Col

Defiantly spring here now

by hal 9000 ·

We had this [b]”Feathered Fiend”[/b] pay us a visit this week a [i]”Laughing Kookaburra”[/i] which I’m assuming was laughing at [b]SWMBO[/b] being such a soft touch and a even worse photo taker. 😀

Just landed and checking the place out. Must have known that next door neighbors dog was locked away.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00660.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00659.jpg

Then helping itself to what [b]SWMBO[/b] had thrown out for it to dine upon

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00661.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00662.jpg

I have another Nepenthes in Flower that is currently being overgrown with Ferns so when there is better light I’ll take a couple more photos. Don’t know what I’m doing wrong but so far every Nepenthes that I’ve got is Female so no seed this year. 🙁

The rest are all looking quite good and growing nicely. 😉

Unfortunately one of the Local Magpies who have been bringing their 2 chicks here to be feed by just landing on the front railings and looking depressed has had an incident where I had to take it to a Vet yesterday as it was lying on the road all but dead on it’s back. I actually thought it was dead until I tried to touch it where it struggled up flapped it’s wings once and crashed into the road about 10 feet away where it promptly laid on it’s back looking anything but well.

Not sure if it even lived the day but the other one was dumping the chicks here and flying up the road where I found it’s mate and calling out all day. Turned up late the morning and is now sort of dumping the chicks here to feed themselves. It will feed one maybe but flys away far more often than it was a day or two ago now that it has both chicks with it.

Col

Does the Kookaburra sound like this one?

by av . ·

In reply to Defiantly spring here now

This is pretty hilarious

I love Spring. Its such a hopeful time, things are growing and the birds are singing. All is right with the world.

We’ve had a great autumn up until the freak snowstorm in October. Almost a foot of snow, and no power for six days. Not pretty because all the leaves were still on the trees.

Its really great that you have a place that you can take an injured bird to and that you had the inclination to do it. We have some places that will care for injured birds, but mostly not.

I think you might be feeding some chicks soon, Col.

AV

Yep that’s the little Beasty

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Does the Kookaburra sound like this one?

But here we generally get that sound in Quadraphonic or better with them laughing at [b]SWMBO.[/b] 😉

They make a good alarm clock I might add. Though unless you want to wake up at sunup it can be more than a bit annoying as you can not chose when they go off. :^0

OH and they generally laugh longer than that when there is a group of them with one starting as another stops. We had a POM here a few years ago who on the first morning was overjoyed to hear a Kookaburra and was ringing home to boast to their friends about it. By the end of the second week they would have shot them given half a chance. 😀

As for those Magpie Chicks I’m feeding them now the remaining adult has dumped them near the front door and they just squawk when they are hungry. Though they have been gone since I drove in about an hour ago but they will most defiantly return when they are hungry. 😀

Col

I seem to recall stories of psycho oz magpies…

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Yep that’s the little Beasty

Maybe the male was injured after it accidentally tried to peck out the brains of a bike rider whose helmet turned out to be harder than it had expected?
          Or some similar work-related injury?

Magpies are only an issue

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to I seem to recall stories of psycho oz magpies…

When they have Eggs or very young Chicks in the nest, once they have Fledged they are simply not an issue. Even then they are only an issue if you get too close to the nest with the Vulnerable young in it.

We’ve had this pair for 3 years bringing their chicks over as soon as they fledge to get fed and we’ve never had an issue with them chasing anybody.

Of course if you want to pick a fight with them then you get what you deserve. 😉

This one didn’t look injured so much as poisoned which is illegal here and if it’s what actually happened I would be very happy to get the person responsible and let them eat their own offerings. 😉

Currently Mum and the Chicks have been around this morning had a feed and they have now resumed their foraging and whatever else they do till they get hungry again. 😀

Col

Foraging

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Magpies are only an issue

– what wild animals do while waiting for the feed tray to be filled again 😀 :p

Maybe it ate a mouse/rat/rabbit or other such pest that someone had tried to get rid off with poison…

Usually poisioned animals

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Foraging

Do not kill the things that eat them if Acceptable Poisons are used.

We have had several birds killed recently around the school up the road and I’m not sure that the authorities will be able to catch what’s going on. As things stand here Magpies are a Protected Species and while other than road kill I have not seen any dead here. This family was foraging around the school I would see them up there quite often so they must have been on the edge of their [i]”Territory”[/I] and sharing the area with several other Magpies and as it’s big enough they could do it easily.

Not sure how the remaining parent is going to go but that pair have been here for all the time that we have which is a little over 3 years now and this is the fourth lot of Chicks that they have had. Though on all previous occasions they have only had the 1 chick. This year was the first time that they had 2 so there must have been enough food for them which I’m assuming was being given to them by [b]SWMBO.[/b] It was Eye Fillet this morning so they get better food than what I get and [b]SWMBO[/b] doesn’t bat a eye when feeding them. 😀

Col

Uh-oh…

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Foraging

I think I know what it must be… someone’s gone and left the garbage cans at the school without a lid… you know, the special, acid-proof ones where they dispose of leftover “food”, i.e. school lunches.
          That is certainly cruelty to animals, as the stuff they use to make the kids docile is really bad stuff for less hardy organisms! ]:)

It’s not much good for Kids either

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Foraging

But as they are not a [b]Protected Species[/b] it doesn’t matter anywhere near as much. 😉

Col

Well as Promised/Threatened

by hal 9000 ·

Here are some more photos of the weeds

A Nepenthes Marabilis Female Flower Spike

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00664-2.jpg

Pitchers from the same N Marabilis

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00665.jpg

And my Favorite Photo 666 the N Marabilis where it’s growing overgrown by ferns. :0

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00666.jpg

A couple of the now completely overgrown Nepenthes Ventroscia [i]I’ll repot it when the flowers finish.[/i] 😉

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00663.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00679.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00678.jpg

A as yet a couple of unnamed Nepenthes

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00681.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00680.jpg

A VFT today

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00668.jpg

Saracenia Lucphillia

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00672.jpg

A late Saracenia Hybrid Flower

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00673.jpg

The same Saracenia Hybrid

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00674.jpg

Another Saracenia Hybrid

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00675.jpg

Saracenia Minor

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00676.jpg

Saracenia Purpura

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00677.jpg

Forked Leaf Sundew Flowers

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00667.jpg

Enjoy Col. 😀

Those are pretty…

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Well as Promised/Threatened

No wonder the flies get too close 🙂

The ones under the ferns

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Those are pretty…

Look great as well though it’s next to impossible to get any photos of them. They have quadrupled in size over the winter months. 😉

Col

Winter is almost over YAAA YAAA YAAA YAAA

by hal 9000 ·

I now have hope that it will warm up and return to sensible weather this year.

The first Flava Flower this spring

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00699.jpg

and the Flava itself.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00698.jpg

suffering the effects of a [b]Very Cold[/b] winter.

Nepenthes pitchers this season

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00697.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00696.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00695.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/HAL9000_photo/DSC00694.jpg

I may even be able to get up out of bed of the mourning without freezing soon. :^0

Col

Yay, Col!

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to Winter is almost over YAAA YAAA YAAA YAAA

Don’t you just love Spring? Great pics, I’m jealous. :0

Davette it’s not spring yet

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Yay, Col!

Those are just giving me some hope that it’s coming soon.

It’s still [b]”Bloody Cold”[/b] here at the moment and while I was thinking of heading way north till things warmed up I saw the Flavas starting to send up Flower Spikes so hopefully things will warm up very soon.

Of course they are always early but I suppose till things warm up I don’t have to worry about the computers overheating as it feels like -375K in the lab at the moment. :^0

Hopefully when the frosts stop the weeds will start looking good again though I must admit that the Wattle is in flower at the moment so I’m more than hopeful that things will get a lot warmer very soon. 😉

Col

Viewing 31 reply threads