General discussion

TR Garden Club - Part 8 - Spring 2010

By boxfiddler Moderator ·
It's not Winter '09 any more, so in light of that I think we need a Spring '10 issue.

This is a continuation of a discussion started here: (TRGC Part 1) http://preview.tinyurl.com/2qflz5
And continued here: (TRGC Part 2) http://preview.tinyurl.com/ytxn7j
Then proceeded to carry on here: (TRGC Part 3) http://tinyurl.com/6fw8c7
You can find Part #4 here: http://tinyurl.com/6pteb6
Part #5 can be located here: http://preview.tinyurl.com/bekqml
Part #6 is here: http://preview.tinyurl.com/bs5t45
Part #7 can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/2bajdru

Yesterday I hit my favorite nursery, and Home Depot, for garden goodies. I bought lots of composted cow manure and potting soil at Home Depot. And an irresistable true red rhododendron.

At the nursery I got the herbs and veggies for the food garden. Some lantana, mosquito plant (scented leaf geranium) that I potted yesterday afternoon, Japanese Painted Fern, and some brilliant orange impatiens, too. I picked up a Wisconsin Blue Juniper that just screamed for me to buy it as I walked past. :0

I only bought two yellow tomato plants as I have a mess of volunteers from last year, but no yellows. Love those yellows, so sweet! This afternoon I'm digging the happy looking ones up to replant in soil mixed with cow manure. Pretty sure I have a carbon problem, as I rarely have any 'green' stuff to add to the soil. If my plants are happier and yield way more, I'll consider my suspicions correct. I'm collecting grass clippings from the yard guys this year. I have a couple of large, wheeled trashcans reserved just for them.

Got hot and sweet peppers, Sugar Baby watermelon, cucumber, and okra. I let the broccoli and cauliflower go to seed last year, and yup, I've got volunteers like crazy. Red lettuce is volunteering too. I'm amending heavily this year.

I'll have blueberries in a week or so. Not a lot of them, but enough to eat several handfuls. My raspberries are amazingly happy this year so I expect enough of them to be able to make jelly.

Potted up the muscadines and blueberries I brought home from Florida back in January. I'm hoping it's not too late, they're pretty sad looking now. The blackberries will go straight into the ground this weekend.

I'm going potted for herbs this year. I'm running out of space. I'll put a few sweet basil between the tomatoes, but not many. This morning I potted sweet basil, rosemary, cilantro, and curly leafed parseley.

I have to admit, I love playing in the dirt! :^0

Your turn!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

227 total posts (Page 1 of 23)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

My wife bought quite a bit.

by Ron K. In reply to TR Garden Club - Part 8 - ...

It'll be in the ground before long. I'll take pictures.<br>
I think that she actually likes it better if I don't help. I'll hover around but if I get 'those' vibes I'm out of the way. <br>
We took down a 30 year old pine tree between our yard and the one to the west. The ground stayed too wet for too long. We lost a Rose of Sharon too.<br>
We hsve several evergreen shrubs to go into that area. I haven't and won't check their tolerance for wet soil. We'll see.<br>
We have some veggies, celery, peppers, kohlrabi ready to plant. Peas, radishes, tomatoes are already in the ground. <br>
Our Iris are growing good as are the day lilies and hostas.<br>
I need to pick up some new lawn forniture. Maybe Monday, if it's not raining. We have to peel back the tarp. Major pain putting it back on.<br>
I'd like to have some warmer, dryer weather. Our lawn left a lot of hy when mowed with the zero-turn and that had new blades. It seems as if it's chop it fine but it didn't. It also looks like a go-cart track from mowing in the wet spots. :0 <br>
No worthy pix other than what's been posted at FB. Right now, this minute, I'm being a FB snob, too. If you ain't there, you're square. :^0 <br>
Hopefully more pictures later of roses, Amaryllis and other growing thins. Don't expect to see a finely landscaped yard. Not going to happen. :) <br>
Did you get any trumpet vine seeds planted?

Collapse -

I did.

by boxfiddler Moderator In reply to My wife bought quite a b ...

I scattered them shortly after I got them. Last year I didn't realize that they liked to be cold for awhile. Oh well. I'll let you know if they come up. If they don't, I'll just buy an established plant next Spring.

I forgot to add, of the four staghorn sumacs I planted last year, two came back happy as pie, with babies. Lots of babies. Dimmy next door thought they were poison sumac, and hosed them. I'm happy to have two. And X-( that he got the two he got.

Also, I put a forsythia I've had potted for a couple years now in the ground a week ago. Up next? Spraying for lilac borers. :0

Collapse -

Scott never got the trumpet vines to grow either.

by Ron K. In reply to I did.

I don't know what the secret is. Maybe starting them on a warm, damp paper towel will work. Unless you planted all of them maybe you could try that.<br>
I'm just trying to keep up on watering the plants in the house. I'm taking three of them outside when the weather warms up. That worked really well a couple of years ago. <br>
I was wondering how long it'd be before you started a new TRGC. :^0 Good to see it.

Collapse -

Clap, Clap, Clap... (We have a new TRGC :)

by bjennings59 In reply to TR Garden Club - Part 8 - ...

Thanks Boxy. I have nothing to contribute in terms of pics just yet, but lots of stuff is peeking out :) Dahlias, Black-eyed Susan, Salvia, Tulips, Ferns, etc. My gardens are "coming alive" :)

Collapse -

You guys

by santeewelding In reply to Clap, Clap, Clap... (We ...

You awe me.

I cast a longing eye at the asphalt surrounding me -- calculating the potential uproar should I cause it be dug up to plant things...

I deal even now with a Sheriff friend who has secured 87 acres in the back country here. Needs welding support for the end-time.

Told, he was, by Homeland Defense and the FBI at a briefing, that First Responders like him are accounted to be the first to die when it comes.

He tells me he hopes it happens on a weekend, while gathered with his family out there at his garden-to-be.

Gardens and gardening of whatever sort grow closer to my heart.

Hold forth.

Collapse -

D'you want me to get you a plant in a bucket?

by Ron K. In reply to You guys

I will, you know. I have the technology. <br>
I have to find a masculine sounding plant name. You saying, "Yeah, that's my pansy," would seem too odd. A cactus might be good. <br>
As an aside-Seems to me that there are too many folks that'll just follow orders, come what may. I try to stay under the RADAR. Little good that'll do when 'they' go street by street, if it ever comes to that.<br>
I hope that 'it' never happens. With so many people possibly to be without food no doubt folks will gladly go merely to be fed. I ain't going.I've made up my mind.<br>
Back on track-Plant a damn cactus or something so we can see a picture of your earthquake-proof plant. If you don't, I'll send you one in a bucket and send guilt your way for having killed it.

Collapse -

Maybe one of those Upside Down Pots

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to D'you want me to get you ...

Would suit Santee so he could hang it somewhere and watch the plant grow from the bottom of it.

Col

Collapse -

hanging upside down pots

by half In reply to Maybe one of those Upside ...

Tried one this year with cherry tomatoes in it boy what a crop and no bugs but you have to fertilize well and keep damp, they dry out quick

Collapse -

People here plant potatoes in buckets.

by AnsuGisalas In reply to You guys

Put them on balconies.
Get new potatoes on midsummer.

Collapse -

tyres are good

by half In reply to People here plant potatoe ...

Just keep adding them as the plant grows and fill with dirt. had 4 high this year got haeps of potatoes

Back to Software Forum
227 total posts (Page 1 of 23)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next