General discussion

Track changes in excel 2002

By mckay_mark ·
Hopefully someone can help me. I have a user who has an excel spreadsheet that is used for tracking customer orders. He has a macro that clears the data in certain columns at the beginnig of everyday. Just recently he has been asked to have the data that would normally be deleted stored for reference (ie: a customer calling to find out what they had ordered on a specific date). Is there a macro or some other way to get excel to copy this data to another sheet or workbook? Thanks!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by DKlippert In reply to Track changes in excel 20 ...

You might be better off with Access.
Go to:
http://office.microsoft.com
Click on template in the box at the left
and search for "Customer order"
The first one on the list may be what you want.

Collapse -

by mckay_mark In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by Pr0x1 In reply to Track changes in excel 20 ...

There are many ways to accomplish this.

1) The easiest is to create a simple macro that prompts the user to save the file as another name as soon as it is opened. You can even open the file read-only so they have to save it as another name. Create a naming and/or versioning scheme for the file to track your changes.

2) You can also use the SelectCurrentRegionSelect funciton to select the data, or hard code the cell range, copy it, and then open an archive excel file and paste it to the end of the file or on a new tab in that file and save it there before the data is deleted, OR after just before the file is closed.

These are just two ideas off the top of my head, again, there are many others.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -

by mckay_mark In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by mckay_mark In reply to Track changes in excel 20 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)