General discussion

transfer a 2003 sql Web server from workgroup to active directory domain

By sotte ·
I need to have our 2003 sql web server join our new active directory. I need to know how to get all the user id's to work that are listed on the sql web server once I join the domain. Sould I create the accounts in Active Directory before I join the domain? Will the SID's on the SQL Web server be totally messed up once I do this?

Any help will be grately appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

I figured it out

by sotte In reply to transfer a 2003 sql Web s ...

When you have a 2000SQL server running in a workgroup environment and need to add it to your active diirectory (windows 2003) All local server user ID's and SQL IDs continue to work the same way.

We had our main website running with a SQL database running in a workgroup environment. We are moving from NDS to Microsoft Active Directory and I needed to get our servers on the new Active Directory.

Not being a SQL expert I was worried about how all our SQL ID's would react once I joint the server to the Active Directory Domain. After Backing everything up and running a test with a File server running windows 2003 and setting up different file shares and local ID's, I went ahead and joined the 2000SQL server to the domain. I logged into the 2000SQL server locally and everything came up with out any errors. I tested the website and everything worked properly. ID's used with SQL were also working properly. The staff and other servers that access the 2000SQL server can still access it remotely without being part of the new Active Directroy I can have more controll over it on our network.

Now I need to work at getting it into a DMZ, but that will take some time...need to twist the arms of our ISP and our Administration to spend the money. (Hopefully by then we will also have a SQL expert)

Back to Networks Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)