General discussion

transfer Ad from 2000 to 2003

By williamoshea ·
Dear all,
I would like to transfer the role of operations masters from a win2000 server operations master to a win2003 standard server. does anyone know the best steps to take in ding this. Do i need to first upgrade the 2000 to 2003????
Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to transfer Ad from 2000 to ...

the member server has to be a DC. Now operations masters encompasses Schema, Domain name master, the Relative ID master, the PDC emulatior, the Infrastructure Master. These make up the Operations Master and are install automatically on the 1st DC of the root of a new forest. If you create child domains the 1st DC in the child domain automatically gets the Relative ID Master, the PDC emulator and the ingrastructure Master. The schema master and domain name master are on the 1st DC of the root domain of the forest and there can be only 1 of these through out the entire forest therefore the only roles that can be doled out are Relative ID Master, PDC emulator and infrastructure Master.

so whats the Domain plan?

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

Note: your title to the question was Transfer AD from W2000 to W2003 yet you go into operation master roles. DCs within a W2K/W2003 AD domain are peers with each other therefore. If you want redundancy on your network should a DC fail, you need to have the secondary server as a global catalog server as the global catalog server is required for user log on.

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to transfer Ad from 2000 to ...

Are the Windows 2003 and Windows 2000 server in the same forest?

Have you ran forestprep and domainprep on the forest and all domains in the forest?

Is Exchange installed in this forest?

Do any of your programs use anonymous LDAP calls to the directory? II5 using ASP does use these. This could present real issues for you, as the security model in Windows 2003 is designed to reject these LDAP calls. (This issue is one of the ones you learn from the school of hard knocks and isn't well documented by Microsoft).

Collapse -

by williamoshea In reply to transfer Ad from 2000 to ...

SORRY GUYS! I WILL MAKE MY QUESTIO CLEARER. I WANT T RETIRE AN OLD WIN2K SERVER MACHINE WHICH HAS BEEN SERVING AS THE PDC AND ALL. IN IT'S PLACE I WANT TO INSTALL A NEW MACHINE WITH WIN2003 SERVER. HOW DO I MAKE THS SWITCH SMOOTHLY????????
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)