Question

Transitioning from Windows 2000 Server to 2007 Server

By jeffrey.ho ·
Our Domain Controller is on a Windows 2000 Server Platform. Exchnge is also on a 2000 platform. We how several file servers currently on 2003 Server.

I want to upgrade everything including Exchange and the DC, to at least 2003 Server. I would like to completely transition to 2007, but have heard horror stories about moving up 2 platforms. Can I even go from Windows 2000 to Server 2007, or should I just move everything up to 2003 Server?

jho

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Well...

by retro77 In reply to Transitioning from Window ...

Server 2003 is the most current release of the Windows Server platform. 2008, being the next is still in beta or RC.

Exchange 2007 is the latest Exchange version. There are migration papers for Exchange out there.

As far as upgrading to 2003 DCs, its pretty simple. you build up a 2003 member server, dcpromo it to our domain. Start dcpromo'ing your 2000 servers out. The FSMO roles will transfer over to your 2003 server. Once there are no more 2000 servers, raise your domain functionality to 2003.

Collapse -

upgrade to 2003 server

by jeffrey.ho In reply to Well...

Ok, so I dcpromo the new server in our existing domain? Correct?

I have yet to actual ever conduct a dcpromo in an actual work environment, so you will have to pardon my limited knowledge on this topic. I assume dcpromo will move over Active Directory to the new server?

I heard you had to run some ADPrep tool first? Is that true?

Once, the 2003 server is dcpromo'd into our existing domain, I demote all the current 2000 servers including the old DC? Correct?

jho

Collapse -

Yes

by retro77 In reply to upgrade to 2003 server

Ok, so I dcpromo the new server in our existing domain? Correct? Correct

I assume dcpromo will move over Active Directory to the new server? When ever you add a DC it creates a complete copy of AD on it. So once you have a new 2003 server in your existing 2000 domain, it will have a complete copy of all your users and be able to take in authentication requests.

I heard you had to run some ADPrep tool first? Is that true? You would run /forestprep and /domainprep on a new DC in a new domain. Since you already have a domain, no need to run these.

Once, the 2003 server is dcpromo'd into our existing domain, I demote all the current 2000 servers including the old DC? Correct? Correct. Let the new servers run for a day or so. Make sure everything is working fine. No need in making too many changes all at once.

Let us know how it goes!

Collapse -

Is it really that simple?

by jeffrey.ho In reply to Yes

I'm debating on whether to tackle it on myself or hire a consultant to assist me with the migration.

I would also be upgrading Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2007...do you know of any limitations this will cause in the domain upgrade?

jho

Collapse -

Ok

by retro77 In reply to Is it really that simple?

Yes it is that simple.

I dont personally but I know that Exchange 2007 requires the 64bit version of Server 2003.

I have installed 2007 but I had to scratch the project because Blackberry wasnt updated yet.

But with all Exchange 200x, you gotta extend the schema and I wanna say that 2007 adds more schema changes on top of an existing 2003 environment.

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)