Question

Trap 00000006 Exception Error

By Kem0128 ·
Hello,

I have a Gateway PC running on XP.

I have not been downloading anything new to my computer and when I went to start it one day I got the following error message ..."Trap 00000006 Exception Error."

Does this mean I will lose all my data on my computer? I have photos and music files that I really want to keep.

If I can't find a recovery cd what are my options?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

See if this helps

by Jacky Howe In reply to Trap 00000006 Exception E ...

You need to replace the NTLDR file by using the Windows Recovery Console:
Restart your computer by using either the borrowed CD-ROM or Windows Setup floppy disks.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair the installation.
Type the number of the Windows installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER.
Type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.

NOTE: The Recovery Console uses the administrator password that you provided when you installed Windows 2000. Changes that you made to the administrator password after you installed Windows do not apply to the Recovery Console.
Type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
Type cd .., and then press ENTER.
Type ren ntldr ntldr.old, and then press ENTER.

This is where it gets tricky and if you don't use the CD-ROM see if you can copy it from the setup disk.
Type copy CD-ROMDrive:\i386\ntldr HardDisk:\ntldr, and then press ENTER, where CD-ROMDrive is the CD-ROM drive letter, and HardDisk is the drive letter of your hard disk.
Type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer.

Can you borrow a friends XP CD so that you can get to the Recovery Console? Do you have a Floppy Drive?

Other wise you may have to get a USB Caddy to put the Drive in and use it to recover any Data. Then put the Drive back in and use the Hidden Recovery Partition or Recovery CD to reinstall XP.

Windows XP Professional Utility: Setup Disks for Floppy Boot Install

http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?familyid=55820EDB-5039-4955-BCB7-4FED408EA73F&displaylang=en

<i>Keep us informed as to your progress if you require further assistance.</i>

<i>If you think that any of the posts that have been made by all TR Members, have solved or contributed to solving the problem, please Mark them as <b>Helpful</b> so that others may benefit from the outcome. </i>

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)