General discussion

Trouble building with PC100

By ab2hu ·
Hi,
I am trying to build a new computer with a PC100 motherboard. I have all the jumpers set as far as i can tell, and the cpu is in. I have installed the RAM, and the video card. I have plugged the power supply into the motherboard in the two slots side-by-side. When I turn it on, It stalls for 20 seconds (blank screen), then does a long beep continuous. I have tried two different power supplies, both do the same thing. I am %100 sure the jumpers are correct. What do i do to fix this?????? Any suggestions would be appreciated...

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by spiceman In reply to Trouble building with PC1 ...

Does your RAM work on another machine.

Disconnect the floppy, hard disk and CD Rom if you have it. Just connect the video and the RAM. You should at least see the BIOS boot up. If you see nothing ensure your RAM is correctly inserted. Also check that this video is inserted correctly.
If works put one device back at a time and ensure system works before putting the next one.

If still did not work - try different RAM and different video card. If still not working could be motherboard not working or is being shorted.

Good luck

Collapse -

by ab2hu In reply to Trouble building with PC1 ...
Collapse -

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Trouble building with PC1 ...

One long beep,points to the dram refresh failure,check the memory and see if type is correct and compatible to mother board,check the owners manual and see what type of memory it requires and check the seating to make sure it is seated correctly.

Collapse -

Collapse -

Collapse -

by lucard In reply to Trouble building with PC1 ...

Yes, one long beep means memory problem, but I had the same situation when the CPU wasn't properly inserted. So, check everything again and hope for the best.

Collapse -

Collapse -

Collapse -

by other In reply to Trouble building with PC1 ...

When you purchase the RAM, make sure they give you PC100 memory chips. dont let anyone tell you that you can use other types. The power supply boxes have nothing to do with the sounds. All that indicates is that the power supply is working!! The other answers are correct, you are having a memory chip issue. I would first make sure that you have PC100 memory chips, and that they are seated properly. If you get this again, swap out the chips. Make sure when you buy them, that you can return them if they will not work.

Back to Desktop Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next