General discussion

Trouble with com ports in win2000

By rhp52 ·
I have a Cisco router connected to my computer and using Hyper Terminal to acces the console. When I try to open the profile for the router I get a mewsage stating"cannot open Com1-check ports". i have nothing connected to com1. win 2000 is new to me..am i missing something?? The router was working the last time i used it (different O/S)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by bestread1 In reply to Trouble with com ports in ...

1) Go to device manager and select view hidden devices. Sometimes Win2k will install phantom ports even if disabled. I had this problem with IR ports on com2 which are not enable in bois, but still Win2k installed drivers and resources. Messed up myprinter and parallel port Zip.

2) What are the com1 port settings? Are they compatible with the router settings. Flow control, baud rate etc.. May need to dig out the router manual.

3) Do you have an internal modem grabbing the port?

4) Try a serial mouse to eliminate hardware problems.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Collapse -

by rhp52 In reply to Trouble with com ports in ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by Shepster In reply to Trouble with com ports in ...

Let's start with first things first. You say you are trying to open the "profile for the router". Does this mean that you saved a session? If so, are you sure it is configured properly? You can right click on My Computer, go to properties, clickon the Hardware tab, press the Device Manager button, scroll down to Ports (Com & Lpt) and see what Com ports are installed. Start a new session in hyperterminal and use that port. If this doesn't work, go to the BIOS and ensure that the serial port is set to the same com port number you are using. Do you know the IP of the router? You could also telnet to it, unless you have it set to not allow telnet sessions.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)