General discussion

Trouble with Security update 816093

By pdirico ·
Has anyone reported any problems after installing Security Update 816093 for Win XP SP2 from the Windows Update site?

I had a problem after installing it on 29-NOV and have just now finished fixing it by re-installing Windows on a fresh install. This update is for the Virtual Machine flaw mentioned elsewhere in Tech Republic. The problem manifested itself by not allowing me to access http://dslstart.verizon.net. I could access any other web site on the net (ok, I didn't really try them all, but enough to know that I could). I, along with help from the tech folks at Verizon DSL, tried every obvious and some not so obvious means of allowing or ublocking access, to no avail. I contacted Microsoft through their chat help and they had me re-install IE, which did nothing other than what it had been doing, blocking access to the site. It seems like there's some code in the update that blacklisted the site after the update was installed. That site was the first one that I accessed after installing the update. That's about the only thing that comes to mind as a possible cause of the problem. I checked and re-checked everything in the IE settings several times. I checked to make sure that the site hadn't been somehow added to the McAfee firewalls blocked list. I had the Windows Firewall turned off at the time. I turned the McAfee Virus Scanner off before I started the update. I ran Sys Restore to a time before the update was installed. Nothing I tried worked until I re-installed Windows fresh. I installed the XP SP@ ***. Update after the freash install, but have not chosed to install update 816093, which is probably a more serious update based on what I've read about the Virtual Machine Vulnerability. I'll just have to keep that Firewall on and updated to stay safe, I guess.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)