General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Trouble with Sysprep and Windows 2000

by rgrowcock ·

Here is my situation: I have created a Power Quest Drive Image image of a Sysprepped hard drive that I can use to setup new computers. That way, when I bring a new computer online, all of the needed software and settings are already on the drive andI don’t have to set and load each individual program. This works fine on a new computer that already has a OS installed. I just restore my Image over that OS and everything works fine.

My problem is with systems that have not had any OS installed before, or with a new hard drive. The image restores fine, but when the system starts to load 2000, it Blue screens with “Inaccessible_boot_device.” This has happened several times, and I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong.

I have checked the partitions that I created with PQ Partition Magic and the first partition is active. I have tried resizing the partition, both before and after restoring the image, but same result. I have tried different hard drives, Western Digital and Maxtor, but again, same results.

This is really frustrating, because once again I am having to install a new computer, program by program which is very time consuming. I know that the Drive Image works fine, I’ve used it many times with no problems, exceptfor new systems without an OS. This doesn’t seem to be computer specific, I’ve tried on Dells, Gateways, and generic ones that I’ve built. Tried both Intel chips as well as AMD, same results.

I think that I am forgetting a basic setting for the partitions that I am creating, I just can’t figure out what. I can load an OS onto the system, then reboot and THEN restore my image and it works fine too. I would just like to avoid that extra step. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Roger

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by mptechonline ·

In reply to Trouble with Sysprep and Windows 2000

My guess on this one is due to the new drive not being formatted. Since the BIOS looks for the boot sequence, which is usually A; then C: and then D: (CD-Rom), it doesn’t see anything in the A: drive and then proceeds to the C: drive, but stops there since it hasn’t been formatted to either FAT or NTFS so it has no boot log. Usually gives an error of “No OS Loaded” or something of that nature from what I’ve found. I would just put in a Start Up disk and FDISK it since that only takes a second to do. Hope this helps some….Mark

by rgrowcock ·

Thanks to both of you for your answers. While surfing the Microsoft site for a different problem, I found the my answer. Seems the Sysprep version I was using, 1.0 had a bug and I needed to upgrade to 1.1. This newer version allows multiple mass controllers to be loaded. Not having this load on my last version caused my disks not to be accessible.

by rgrowcock ·

When I create the partitions with Partition Magic, I also go ahead and format using NTFS. Maybe use Fat32 instead, then sys the hard drive and then if that works, convert to NTFS afterwards. Something to think about for me. Thanks!

by techrepublic ·

I had this also. Make sure the BIOS settings are close together. I noticed that ACPI has alot to do with it.

by rgrowcock ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 3 reply threads