General discussion

Trusting Windows NT and 2000 domains

By d3 ·
I am currently in the middle of an upgrade to Windows 2000 from NT and I am having trouble with a trust between the two. My NT network did not have DNS and functioned on NetBios and WINS along with a VPN to differently named domain (which has a trust established). Essentially what I want to do is bring all NT domains into one (site.local) and be able to have users access programs and data regardless of what domain they are joined to.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Jeremy The IT Guy In reply to Trusting Windows NT and 2 ...

When upgrading from NT to Windows 2000, you will have to create all trusts manually to recreate the 2 way transitive trust you seek. To do this, you'd open the Active Directory Domains and Trusts MMC tool from the Administrative Tools. You'll thenright click on the domain you want to establish trusts for and click properties. There is a tab called Trusts in the Properties Window to help you through this. If you need more help, let me know. Thanks, Jeremy

Collapse -

by Rabbit_Runner In reply to Trusting Windows NT and 2 ...

am not certain if this will apply to you, but we had a problem with a trust relationship between an NT 4 domain and an upgraded domain to 2000 with AD. The original trust relationship, which had been working before the upgrade, stopped. The error messages we received was that neither domain could find the other. We could ping by IP and also by Name, but no trust could be established.
Here is what we did to resolve our problem. We opened the HOSTS file on both domain controllers, and entered two lines. dc_name domain_name
This allowed our two domains to begin communicating on the domain level and we were able to re-establish our trust relationship.

Hope this may help.

Michael R.

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)