General discussion

trying to setup win 2000 sever

By patrick_wood ·
I am having a %$#@ time trying to setup a win2k server for students to use.

I am using the cd that comes w/the MS ALS book.

Problem is that it keeps setting the nic to:
ip 10.10.1.1
sub 255.0.0.0
gate 192.168.0.1

so when i try to setup active directory, it fails w/a statement of can not find DNS server.

all is local. not on net.

please help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by magellanix In reply to trying to setup win 2000 ...

Your IP SHOULD BE: 192.168.0.1 SUBNET shold be: 255.255.255.0 Gateway should be: 192.168.0.1
Uninstall Active Dir if you installed it, and the DNS server if it is installed. Now install Active Directory, it will ask you to install DNS server as wellduring the installation *it would do this altogether* if it doesnt and you get that stupid no DNS found message, then go and install DNS server, from Add/Remove in control panel. Then continue on with installation. For the client machines provide them ip starting with 192.168.0.2
Cheers

Collapse -

by patrick_wood In reply to trying to setup win 2000 ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

If you are not on a network, you do not require DNS or networking. Select the custom installation from the CD and de-select the network side of things, otherwise, if you are on a network...
You cannot find you DNS server because traffic to it is not being routed by the gateway which is not on the same subnet. Reset your IP to 10.10.1.11 and try and reserve the first 5-10 IPs for other servers such as time, mail, file, etc. Your DNS nameserver should be 192.168.0.1 or whatever, same subnet maskand your gateway should be 10.10.1.1 since it is the last/first port of call for outbound/incoming address resolution.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by jose_12650 In reply to trying to setup win 2000 ...

Right click my network places, click properties, right click Local Area Connection, click properties, highlight TCP/IP, click properties. Click Use the Following IP Addres: then input the address you want, (if you choose 10.0.0.1, your subnet must should be 255.0.0.0., if you chouse, 192.0.etc. your subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0. In your DNS button, input 127.0.0.1.

Another approach is to install your AD with DHCP by typing DCPromo in the run command. Follow the wizard screen. After installing your DHCP, configure its scope and activate your scope. Create your DNS zone. I hope this will help.

Collapse -

by jose_12650 In reply to trying to setup win 2000 ...

You also have to authorize your DHCP server.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to trying to setup win 2000 ...

You should ALWAYS set the IP address of your server statically. It doesn't matter what the initial install sets the NIC to - you can control this by going to the IP properties and manually setting an IP address as described in the previous answer. Before you run DCPROMO, set the IP address to a static address; you can use either a 10 address (i.e., 10.0.0.x with subnet mask 255.255.255.0) or the 192.168.x.x range. Either one will work. Set the default gateway to itself and leave the DNS entries blank. If you've already installed DNS, uninstall it. Then run dcpromo - this will install and initially configure DNS for you. Afterwards, do two things:

1. Open up your DNS zone, and go to the Forward Lookup Zone folder. If you see an entry designating the server as a root server "(.)", delete it. This will allow you to use DNS forwarders for external (i.e., Internet) IP addresses if you want to have Internet access on the network.

2. Check your NIC properties and make sure that the server is pointing to itself as the DNS server. If not, enter it manually.

Hope this helps!

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums