Question

Two Windows 2003 Servers on Differant Subnets, same domain?

By barrybyrne ·
Hi Folks,

I am looking for a good guide on how to configure the following scenario:

1. Site A - Windows 2003 Server Std, LAN, Approx 10 Users, Firewall - Subnet 192.168.1.x
2. Site B - Windows 2003 Server Std, LAN, Approx 10 Users, Firewall - Subnet 192.168.2.x

We have a site to site VPN which handles the intersite traffic, and are now installing two new servers as domain controllers - I will need each one to be the Global Catalogue at each site, but would like to have it so there is one overall domain, and therefore no need to configure two sets of Active Directory, and also no need to reconfigure when a user moves between each site (which happens frequently enough). Email is all through POP accounts, and will stay like this, so no exchange worries. Its fairly straight forward, I just want to get it right from the setup and then be able to easily administer going forward.

I should also mention that Site B has a current SBS box that we will be replacing with the Windows 2003 Server, the SBS box will be coming out (the hardware is dead) so there is already an AD structure in Site B, but this can transfer over to the new hardware there (transfer of roles etc once the new hardware is installed).

Any suggestions?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

AD Sites and Services

by Churdoo In reply to Two Windows 2003 Servers ...

You want to define your different sites in AD Sites and Services.

I looked for a good tutorial, but there's a lot of for-fee material out there and not so much free. There is some info on TR:
http://search.techrepublic.com.com/search/active+directory+sites.html

Here's a book from MS also, look at Chapter 3:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6cde6ee7-5df1-4394-92ed-2147c3a9ebbe&displaylang=en

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)