General discussion

UFS/VFS in Windows NT/2000?

By BradleyMGX ·
Is it possible to write to a UFS/VFS partition using Windows NT4/Windows 2000 (Specifically on an external subsystem running an isolated RAID pack) and then mount that partition on a Solaris machine (by plugging the subsystem into the Sun box preferably)?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by cpfeiffe In reply to UFS/VFS in Windows NT/200 ...

I'm not sure I understand what you want to do so let me clearify first. You want to connect an external RAID pack to a Solaris server and bring up as a file system on the Solaris server (UFS/VFS). Then you want to share out the file system and write to it from Windows. If that is correct all you need to do is go through the normal steps for creating the file system on Solaris and then install Samba on Solaris and share the file system out through samba. Samba is a freeware utility that willshare the file system as a CIFS which Windows can write to. The two operating systems will both be able to write to the file system and utilize Unix file permissions on Unix created files and if you want to you can even utilize Windows file permissions for the Windows created files by mapping Windows attributes. Samba is freeware available at www.samba.org.

Collapse -

by BradleyMGX In reply to UFS/VFS in Windows NT/200 ...

I wish to write to a UFS partition while the RAID pack is physically connected to the Windows machine through the SCSI port. I then want to disconnect the RAID pack, connect it to the SCSI port of the Sun machine and mount that UFS partition using Solaris and have access to that data.

The interim solution we are using is to NFS mount the partition while the disk is connected to the Windows machine, and coping the data through the network.

Collapse -

by ghislain.levesque In reply to UFS/VFS in Windows NT/200 ...

Why you don't write directly on the Sun server. You could install Sun Pc Netlink on the Sun server ( it's free ) share a directory from the Sun server and on the NT/2000 platform, map that drive and write on it.... Sun Pc Netlink or Samba will allow your Sun server to be seen on your network as an NT Server....

Also, no it's not possible, I don't think Solaris will recognize that format...

Hope this help.

Collapse -

The Sun machine will not be available until we want to use the data on the UFS partition in a production environment.

The NT box is being used for live replication of the Sun data, preferably on a UFS partition, and the Sun box is on standby for a disaster scenario so that we can move the data to the Sun box, bring up the databases and continue working.

Collapse -

by dbs In reply to UFS/VFS in Windows NT/200 ...

Use the Veritas File system on both and it will be portable between the two. I'm pretty sure Veritas has released their VxFS for win2k

I could not find a ufs driver for NT.

If faced with this problem, I'd probably use a gigabit ethernet to access the files from an NAS or
Unix (like) system that can write the files to the RAID as a ufs partition.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to UFS/VFS in Windows NT/200 ...

Some related links:

www.cs.duke.edu/education/courses/fall02/cps110/Lectures/lecture14.pdf

www.tru64unix.compaq.com/cluster/CFSpaper.pdf

REMOVE SPACES from the pasted URLs.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Linux Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)