General discussion

Ultra 100 PCI controller card WIndows 98

By rebal ·
I have a i430 AT/ATX motherboard. I'm installing a new drive using a Ultra 100 PCI controller card. Originally I installed the drivers into an exsisting Hard Drive running Windows 98. Now I can't get the old drive to boot as well as the new drive. Itried a boot disk and the PC doesn't detect the floppy drive, (yes I have it set in the bios). The error I get is the device BIOS are not installed then it hangs. I've tried setting everything back to it's original state and now the original drive is detected although it doesn't get past the controller card script error. My files are still there. How can I uninstall the controller card drivers, or what do I need to do to install the Controller cards BIOS (If it won't recognize the A drive?) I've fdisked the Master boot record, I moved the card into another slot to avoid IRQ sharing still nothing.
Any suggestions, recomendations, anything? HELP!!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

19 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Etoile In reply to Ultra 100 PCI controller ...

I bought the same card for my system and had similar problems. I resolved them by removing all cards from my system except the video card, added the Ultra 100 card and got it working. I then added the other cards one at a time, and found an IRQ conflict with my SB Live! card. I removed the SB, reserved the IRQ setting that the Ultra 100 card defaulted to in the BIOS, and then replaced the SB card and all others ... Voila! Good luck

Collapse -

by rebal In reply to Ultra 100 PCI controller ...

I've tried that. Thanks anyway.

Collapse -

by m.cothran In reply to Ultra 100 PCI controller ...

Yeah, get down to the basic's of your system "video, ram, cpu, 3.5 fD, Ide HD" Then reset your bios jumper. Make a new boot disk of another computer. Just goto Dos prompt and type in" sys a: "and then you will have a new boot disk. Ive had many go bad on me in the past. Look for your FD light to come one as system boots. If it still doesnt, check to see that your cables are properly installed. Refer to your hardware documentation for correct jumper settings, and pin alignments. ANd it sounds you may have to run a complete FDISK if the HD is unbootable. DO this after you boot of boot disk. Press shift F5 to goto into DOs. You must format C: right after you run fDISK and delete , and re create primary partition. But wait, you may be able to get into safemode, try that first, then a step by step conformation. Hopefully a new bootdisk and a bios reset will do the trick for your floppy drive. Let me know! Good luck -M.C A+ certified

Collapse -

It's the original Hard drive not floppy drive that now cannot be recognize. thanks anyway for the other info I'm sure I can use it another time.

Collapse -

by Dark Force In reply to Ultra 100 PCI controller ...

The first thing that comes to mind when I read this...Are both drives on the same controller card?
The reason the BIOS isn't loading is the computer is confused, it doesn't know which IDE card to use. IDE controllers want to be the only one in the system. I would disable the onboard controller for the motherboard before installing the ATA-100 card. Then attatch both drives to the ATA-100 card.

This has nothing to do with the card's drivers, it doesn't sound like the machine isn't even getting that far.

Good Luck,
JR

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by jimjennings In reply to Ultra 100 PCI controller ...

The BIOS may not recognize the Ultra 100 PCI controller as IDE. Try setting your primary boot sequence to SCSI and see if it will boot from the new drive. I would also switch the old drive to the secondary port on your IDE controller and leave the primary controller connection vacant.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by jdfcomputer In reply to Ultra 100 PCI controller ...

Just a quick thought.
In your BIOS, under integrated peripherals
did you disable the onboard IDE and assign a pci slot to the location of your ATA card?

Also try setting the boot sequence to try other boot devices if you have that option.

Collapse -

Back to Desktop Forum
19 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next