General discussion

Unable to connect to SQL server 2000 using TCP/IP

By minh chau ·
Please help.... I recently setup a SQL server 2000 runing on windows server 2003 with multihomed (2 NICs). All clients can connect to the server with IPX/SPX but TCP/IP & named pipe. Any ideas why ??? Much thanks.

For your information, here are things that I have done for troubleshooting this problem:
> TCP/IP, Name pipe, and IPX/SPX are all enabled on
> Server/Client Network utility.
>
> ODBC connection with TCP/IP on the local server OK ODBC ping
> on local server OK Name pipe connection on local server OK
>
> On Windows XP & NT 4 workstations
> ODBC connection with TCP/IP to Synergetic server Failed with error:
>
> >odbcping -S yvgfaasql -U XXXXX -P *****
>
> COULD NOT CONNECT TO SQL SERVER
> SQLState: 08001 Native Error: 17
> Info. Message: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP
> Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
>
> SQLState: 01000 Native Error: 10061
> Info. Message: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP
> Sockets]ConnectionOpen (Connect()).
>
> ----------0---------------
>
> Name pipe connection to Synergetic server Failed with error:
> >readpipe /Syvgfaasql /D"hello pipe"
>
> SvrName:\\yvgfaasql
> PIPE \yvgfaasql\pipe\abc
> DATA :hello pipe
>
> Failed to Open Pipe, Status=2
> --------0----------

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Unable to connect to SQL ...

Sounds like the machine you are trying to connect to the SQL server "yvgfaasql" from is NOT resolving its IP address correctly. In other words, the client machine can't tell what IP the SQL server has.
There are various ways to fix this. Personally, I would just put an entry in the HOSTS file on the client machine, resolving the IP address to the SQL server machine name.

Collapse -

by minh chau In reply to Unable to connect to SQL ...

Thanks for replying my question, Joseph. All ip and name are resolved OK. I can ping and DNS query (nslookup) either by names or ip addresses. I also added an entry to the client host files as you suggested but still no go ! Had a look at the MS support website too, but no clues.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Unable to connect to SQL ...

If you don't use Novell Netware and you don't mind the overhead that TCP/IP has, remove the IPX/SPX protocol and only have the TPC/IP protocol. save ya a lot of headache.

Troubleshooting IPX/SPX can be anything. Like simply a non compliant NDIS driver or choosing the wrong frame type or mismatched frame type or broadcast type 20 frametype on being propogated or simply the protocol didn't start. If you've got routers SAP may not be enabled or you've got more than 8.

Collapse -

Thanks for your tips, D.R. The Corporate Groups. I could not get clients to connect to SQL server with pure TCP/IP from the begining and I was under pressure to get all clients connected to the server, I therefore had to add ipx/spx to get them connected. At the moment, I am trying to get clients connecting with TCP/IP prior to remove IPX/SPX.

Collapse -

Thanks for your tips, D.R. The Corporate Groups. Yes, my file & print servers are Novell Netware.

I could not get clients to connect to SQL server with pure TCP/IP from the begining and I was under pressure to get all clients connected to the server, I therefore had to add ipx/spx to get them connected. At the moment, I am trying to get clients connecting with TCP/IP prior to remove IPX/SPX off the SQL server.

Collapse -

ok your running Novell Netware and want to include in your network a SQL server for database. You want clients to access the SQL server and are using IPX/SPX protocol for network communications and are adding?? TPC/IP protocol for connecting to SQL??? I know theres a bug in SQL 2000 with IPX/SPX [see article 270667 Microsoft Help & Support] but that pertains to having more than one instance of SQL server on the network listening in on port 33854 . If everything your running is Novell and IPX/SPX protocol you want a SQL server included into your network, use IPX/SPX protocol for communications.

look at Micosoft Help & Support article 311836 and see if this is an instance you see in the event viewer.

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to

why bother with TCP/IP if your running IPX/SPX thoughout your network????

Collapse -

The LAN is running a mixture of both IPX/SPX (Novell Netware) and TCP/IP(other such as internet access) and now SQL server.

All I want is to set up all clients to talk to SQL server 2000 with TCP/IP rather than IPX/SPX as I am starting to phase-out IPX/SPX prior to decommision all novell netware servers.

Collapse -

I'll defer to Microsoft's Help & Support Article 328306. I know SQL can be finicky with a lot of demand, That IPX/SPX can cause more problems that its worth when mixed with a TCP/IP network. other than that, cant say.

Collapse -

by icario In reply to Unable to connect to SQL ...

May be some other application/service is sitting on port 1433 on the server.

I would suggest that you run a scan using a tool like fport to see what is on port 1433

Back to Windows Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next