General discussion

Unable to install Win 2000

By eddiek ·
I am currently using Win98. I have 2 hard disk (drive C and D) whereby the Win 98 is installed in my C drive. A couple of months ago, i had installed Win 2000 in my second drive (drive D), and as usual Win 2000 creates a menu(boot.ini) to select the O.S. Now my second drive (drive D) got corrupted, therefore i had no choice but to reformat the whole hard disk and exchanged for a new one . Now after getting a new hard drive, i decided to just upgrade my existing Win 98 to Win 2000. However a message prompt saying i already have 2 o.s installed in my pc therefore i could not install another one. Currently i only have Win 98 installed . Is there some files which i should delete from C drive since i had previously installed Win 2000? My boot.ini is as follows:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C = "Microsoft Windows"

would appreciate if anyone could help me cause i need to install a program which requires Win 2000

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to Unable to install Win 200 ...

Boot the computer with a Windows 98 Startup disk. Type ?Sys C without the quotes from A prompt and hit Enter key. Delete the hidden system file boot.ini.

Reference: MS KB Article 171444 or http://tinyurl.com/6ezuo

The reason you cannot upgrade Windows 98 to 2000 is that your current situation is dual booting even though the second HD, which is Windows 2000 boot volume, is reformatted.

Reference: MS KB Article 232123 or http://tinyurl.com/6yqm5

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to

boot.ini is a boot file not a system file.

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to

The command ?Sys C disables Windows boot loader so that only Windows 98 will be loaded thereupon. Now it is ready for you to upgrade Windows 98 to Windows 2000.

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to

I did not see your comment until I read your other thread. I think you answered yourself.
Once the dual (triple or more) boot is broken, those files are not necessary.
Just removing those files will not disable Windows boot loader until you run Sys command, which must be run from DOS.

Collapse -

by eddiek In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by eddiek In reply to Unable to install Win 200 ...

Thanks for replying wcp. Is it okay if i remove those files (boot.ini,ntldr,ntdetect.com etc) from Windows itself(eg using windows explorer) rather than booting from a Windows startup disk and then remove it? My floppy drive is not functioning at this moment.

Collapse -

by sunil_gupta In reply to Unable to install Win 200 ...

Boot the computer with a Windows 98 Startup disk. Type ?Sys C without the quotes from A prompt and hit Enter key. Delete the hidden system file boot.ini.

Collapse -

by eddiek In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by eddiek In reply to Unable to install Win 200 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)