General discussion

unable to join windows 2000 domain controller

By osama_ssuetians ·
i am trying to join windows xp profesional machine but whenever i join it the computer it shows in Active Directory users and computers as disabled, also we recieve an error "The following error occured attempting to join the domain "domainname" The specifed server cannot perform the requested operation. also when i ran nslookup i got an error can't find primary dns server and it automatically switched to secondary dns. i do not want to reinstall AD intergrated DNS,w what other solutions are possible

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

DNS Issue

by BFilmFan In reply to unable to join windows 20 ...

The DNS service has to be running on the root domain controller of the forest to properly register records when you FIRST set up AD. You can move it later, but the DNS server has to be AD-compliant in the registration of records.

Based on the previous questsions that you have asked, it appears that you do not have a lot of experience with AD. I recommend that you either hit the books and start studying or bring in someone with experience to assist you in learning the technology.

To resolve your issue, locate the PDC Emulator in the root domain of the AD forest. Check to see if the DNS service is running. If not, start it.

Then go to the client system and input the command:

IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS

Back to IT Employment Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)