General discussion

Unable to Uninstall Word 2002

By ron.thompson ·
Word is not working after a crash. I wish to reinstall it but get this message "The configuraion data for this product is corrupt" I am using Windows XP Professional. Ron

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by DKlippert In reply to Unable to Uninstall Word ...

Was this part of Works? See:
http://tinyurl.com/r0zf

Before you uninstall, delete any temp files. They start with a tilde (~). Ususaly you can delete
~*.*
or
~$*.*
Delete Normal.dot

Collapse -

by XanderO In reply to Unable to Uninstall Word ...

Whenever I get problems like that, I delete the entire program and its contents manually by selecting the entire folder, and pressing delete. However, as you may know, you usually get error messages in doing so stating that "Access is Denied. Windows is currently using this file." I prefer a DOS based OS for this reason. You can always shut-down Windows and then delete those files from DOS, where Windows can not be using them.
But you have Windows XP. You can always press <Ctrl><Alt<Del> and close all unnecessary files (*(.dll ; .vxd ; etc...) that may be some you are trying to delete.
Anyway, after successfully deleting it, you should be able to reinstall it.
The safe things about "manually" deleting a program and then reinstalling it is that the new installation should overwrite any files left and registry keys, thus making it look exactly as the original installation. You can try this...or not. -XanderO

Collapse -

by XanderO In reply to Unable to Uninstall Word ...

Whenever I get problems like that, I delete the entire program and its contents manually by selecting the entire folder, and pressing delete. However, as you may know, you usually get error messages in doing so stating that "Access is Denied. Windows is currently using this file." I prefer a DOS based OS for this reason. You can always shut-down Windows and then delete those files from DOS, where Windows can not be using them.
But you have Windows XP. You can always press <Ctrl><Alt<Del> and close all unnecessary files (*(.dll ; .vxd ; etc...) that may be some you are trying to delete.
Anyway, after successfully deleting it, you should be able to reinstall it.
The safe things about "manually" deleting a program and then reinstalling it is that the new installation should overwrite any files left and registry keys, thus making it look exactly as the original installation. You can try this...or not. -XanderO

Collapse -

by sys86fix In reply to Unable to Uninstall Word ...

hi i had same problem if u have allready bean into add and remove programs and it wont do it try reinstalling then overwrite all files and then uninstall if it dosent work delete desktop icon + file in program files

Back to Desktop Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)