General discussion

uninstall KB855250 hotfix

By paul ·
Anyone know how to uninstall this hotfix if it is embedded in SP2? I can't unistall it using "Add/Remove" programs. I can see the hot fix in there but when I click on it it says "this update cannot be uninstalled". Also, there are no update folders in the "Windows" folder, just the logs for them. This is on a new Dell PC running Windows XP SP2 peer to peer networked to a Windows 98 PC. Word won't Save as to the mapped drive. All the fixes I've read say to uninstall that update.

thanks,
Paul

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by paul In reply to uninstall KB855250 hotfix

I made a mistake on the KB number... It should be KB885250.

thanks again,
Paul

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to uninstall KB855250 hotfix

As KB885250 is listed as a Critical patch it can not be uninstalled. This patch is supposed to prevent an external source taking control of the computer and turning it into a Bot for their own personal use and having the ability to delete your data & Software at will depending on their needs at the time.

If this system was connected to a 24/7 Internet Connection there could be major Legal Implications if this was allowed to happen. If you where to have your system taken over and have it as a repository for software to be downloaded from you would be considered as breaking the Copyright Agreement and would be responsible for any fines imposed for this Criminal Activity.

Short of reloading the system with XP SP1 and then only applying the Patches that you want installed there is no way to remove this Patch.

Col

Collapse -

by paul In reply to

Well, thanks for the info. I guess we will have to talk the boss into purchasing another new PC to replace to old Win98 machine.

Collapse -

by paul In reply to uninstall KB855250 hotfix

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)