Question

uninstall windows 2000 & xp

By icryptorchidi ·
i started with windows 2000 and had a friend partition the hard drive to install windows xp also. i want to unisntall both versions of windows and wipe the hard drive completely clean, then reinstall windows xp again but i have no clue where to start. i backed up all the files i need but where do i start?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

When you reinstall XP...

by jimmy-jam In reply to uninstall windows 2000 & ...

you have the option to delete all the partitions and repartition the drive. That is how I would do it. Delete all the partitions then carve your drive up the way you want it.

If you need more details please post back.

Collapse -

You can also use a Wiping Utility

by OH Smeg In reply to uninstall windows 2000 & ...

Like Boot & Nuke

http://www.dban.org/

or Kill Disc

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

Download the one that suits your needs and make a CD from it and then boot off the CD that you made. Follow the Prompts and wipe the HDD/s as required.

If you have one of the nasty infections a simple Format may not be enough to kill it as some can survive a Format.

As to which to use this depends on your level of Skill. If you know what you are doing Boot & Nuke does a better job but if you have SATA Drives it does require a bit of mucking around. Kill Disc on the other Hand doesn't do as good a job at wiping the HDD but is much easier to use particularly where SATA HDD are concerned.

You may need to alter the Boot Order in the BIOS to boot off the Optical Drive before booting off your HDD so if you can not boot off the CD that you made with either Kill Disc or Boot & Nuke on it you need to enter the BIOS and set the Boot Order to Optical Drive ahead of the HDD. And you need to Save The Changes as you exit the BIOS.

Both Utilities can take several hours to run depending on the speed of your Hardware and the size of the HDD that needs wiping.

Col

Back to Hardware Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)