General discussion

Uninstalling Norton 2003 Professional an

By sbhuck ·
I follow all the directions, and the system says that I have successfully uninstalled Norton 2003.
When I the try to reinstall it, it says that certain parts of the norton 2003 are already installed and will not write over them. When you fine these files still in the computer, they are listed as,
UN_Norton_Antivirus
UN_Norton_Ghost
UN_Norton_Clean sweep
UN_Norton_anitvirus system 2003

These files are still in the computer, even though it has said that I had successfully uninstalled Norton 2003.
Even if you delete the files listed above, and try to install Norton 2003 again, It stll shows them to be present and will not allow maximum installation. You van not access these files period. What can be done?

Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Uninstalling Norton 2003 ...

go to www.symantec.com and download their batch removal tool for this kinda problem: symcln.exe.
here is the url (remove any spaces etc etc)
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/norton_systemworks/ver5.0/tools/SYMCLN.EXE
goodluck. norton stuff is like the little girl with the little curl, right in the middle of her forehead. when she was good she was very very good, when she was bad, she was horrid.

Collapse -

by sbhuck In reply to Uninstalling Norton 2003 ...

It did help, but I need to know if this takes forever, I have already deleted over 600 Norton System Works pieces. There are no more stored anywhere, except Desktop. Every time this is program is used to check, only Desktop has any items. I have put tis through my desktop over 25 times, and the same things keep showing up. Is ther an end?
Thank you When this problem is solved, you will get the tech points.
Thank you
Wilbur Huck
email sbhuck@jtt.net

Collapse -

by ruspc In reply to Uninstalling Norton 2003 ...

I had the same problem with Norton 2002 Pro on Win98. The uninstall did not work. I got the batch file Sgt Shultz recommended in the previous answer. I also got a 6 page printout of specifics to clean out the registry from the same site. I spent hours getting the computer back to some sense of normality. I sent the disc back to the vendor for a refund. The girl with the curl says it all.

Good luck.

Rus

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Uninstalling Norton 2003 ...

yes, symclean is fast. hopefully you won't have to go any further that running that. in the time it took you to ask the question you could have tried it and been all set...

Collapse -

I have been runnibg symclean for four days. Every time I run it, the only norton things found are in my Desktop. I put my desktop through this over 30 times, and the same norton things show up each time and I delete them each time. I hope there is a limit..

Collapse -

Ihave deleted over 1000 various parts of norton 2003 antivirus. Most of the seem to be on hte desktop listed on the C: drive. Every time I run symclean onit it produces the same portions of norton's that it did the other 100 times I run it. There has to be something I am not doing. If everyone thought this program was so easy to do, what am I doing wrong!!
Wilbur Huck

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)