General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Uninstalling Office 2003, keep Office XP

by jklopper ·

I got a new computer and was unsure of what MS Office package I would be using. I installed office 2003 standard edition, but did not actvate. Then I ended up installing and activating Office XP. Now I would like to uninstall Office 2003, but I am worried that it could delete some files I am using for XP. Particularly emails or contacts. Is this a risk or am I safe to uninstall and XP will go untouched?

BTW – the reason I want to uninstall is sometimes when I launch a file, it tries to open it in 2003 and asks me to activate.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Reply To: Uninstalling Office 2003, keep Office XP

by dragonbill ·

In reply to Uninstalling Office 2003, keep Office XP

If you are concerned about losing contacts and emails I would make a copy of the .pst file and save it elsewhere. Then do the uninstall of 2003. If the .pst file is gone, then you can import it back in.

I find it intersting that you were able to install Office XP AFTER you had installed 2003. Since you were able to do that, I feel you can remove 2003 safely. I’m sorry I am not too sure though. 😉

Good luck.
      Bill

by xanderoth ·

Easiest answer- archive all of your e-mails and contacts or copy the .pst file from C:\Documents and Settings\mattm\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook to another directory. Uninstalling wont affect your Office XP, but just in case you will be covered.

by jklopper ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 2 reply threads