Question

Unmountable_boot_volume before xp welcome screen can load Toshiba M55-s3314

By jduvernay ·
Help!

I have a Toshiba M55-S3314 Satellite, 3 years old with Windows XP

upon start-up I get directed to the Safe Mode menu, i have tried to boot computer in each configuration available, however I always get the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME message and the windows XP welcome screen doesn't load so I am unable to use my recovery DVD. When I boot computer off of the DVD drive the only option I am given is to erase and reinstall my entire hard drive...I don't want to do that!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

A couple of thoughts

by Jacky Howe In reply to Unmountable_boot_volume b ...

Can you borrow a friends XP CD so that you can get to the Recovery Console to run chkdsk c:/r

The Windows Vista Recovery CD can be used to Boot your PC.

<b>Creating a Windows Vista Recovery CD</b>

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=622

Burn it to CD with Nero or similar.

The Windows Vista Recovery CD can be used to Boot to a Command Prompt where you can run these Commands.

Boot from the Vista CD and on the first screen click Next, click Repair your computer, click Next and select Command Prompt.

Now type in chkdsk c:/r

You could add the Drive as a Slave to a PC with a Laptop IDE Hard Drive Adaptor or a USB enclosure.
You will have to determine the Hard Drives physical size and data connectors before purchasing a USB Enclosure. If it is from a Notebook then it will be 2.5" and if it's from a Desktop it would normally be 3.5".
The Data connectors can be either IDE 40 pin or Sata. IDE is a wide/flat ribbon cable with either 40 or 80 wires where Sata is a thin plastic cable with thin connectors.

Collapse -

Recovery Console

by tmalo627 In reply to Unmountable_boot_volume b ...

If you have access to a Windows XP installation disk, you can boot off of that and press R when prompted to get to the recovery console. Once there, there are two commands I would try. First try fixboot. If you cannot get Windows to load after that, go back to the recovery console and try fixmbr. If these two ways fail, you may have to reinstall altogether and lose any data on the machine.

Back to Hardware Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)