General discussion

Upgrade from NT 4.0/Ex5.5 to Windows Server 2003/Exchange2003

By tayoajayi ·
I'm presently working at a client site and they presently have one NT4 PDC Server and 2 NT4 BDCs in the same domain XYZDom. The BDCs have Ex5.5 running in the different organizations/domains i.e xyz.com and xyzafrik.com. Each Ex 5.5 server hosts different domain mailboxes i.e john@xyz.com and the client use outlook to check their mails, and the other ex 5.5 server hosts john@xyzafrik.com and the client use outlook express to check their mails. The xyzafrik.com server acts as a POP3 server.
I did an in-place upgrade of the PDC to server 2003 and i was only able to migrate mailboxes from one of the Ex5.5 server hosting the xyz.com domain after installing the ADC connector and installing Exchage 2003 on the Server.i.e i was only able to migrate a mailbox of say john@xyz.com. I installed another server2003 server in another forest and then installed Ex 2003 to manage the xyzafrik.com domain. The other john@xyzafrik.com is on the other exchange 2003 server in its own forest root domain xyzafrik.com. The two servers are on the same LAN
Each Ex 2003 server has a public IP address that has been NATed, a default gateway(router) and also the ISPs DNS IP addresses. The NT 4 domain was XYZDom and after upgrading to server 2003 the DNS domain name is XYZ.com, though the clients still log-on to xyzDom. IS THERE A WAY THAT THE CLIENTS CAN LOG ON TO XYZ.COM?
IS IT POSSIBLE TO HOST THE TWO DOMAINS, XYZ.COM AND XYZAFRIK.COM ON A SINGLE EX 2003 SERVER SO THAT I WOULD HAVE JOHN@XYZ.COM AND THE USER WHOULD USE OUTLOOK TO CHECK HIS MAIL AND ALSO JOHN@XYZAFRIK.COM AND THE SAME USER WOULD USE OUTLOOK EXPRESS TO CHECK HIS MAIL?
Also, from the queues of the ex 2003 server there are so many funny e-mail addresses. How can I get rid of them?
Presently i have one win 2003 server for the xyz.com(xyzdom)domain running ex 2003 for the xyz.com domain. The clients connect to this domain. I have the SMTP virtual server running with port 2225 and i've configured an SMTP connector. I have a user

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Upgrade from NT 4.0/Ex5.5 ...

Quite a lot of technical questions for 5 points there, but you seem like a new user, so I will cut you some slack:

User can log into only ONE domain in an AD forest, but they can access resources in any domain which they have had rights granted. They can access resources in another forest if trusts are properly set up.

As for the Exchange mess that you currently have installed, it's a re-do. Set up a single AD Forest. Use 2 domains if you need different password lengths, periods, etc.

Install Exchange into the forest. You can have only ONE Exchange organization per forest, but you can host multiple SMTP domains. Configure your hosted domains, connectors, etc. in Exchange.

Migrate user and computer accounts into the new domain.

Set up a trust to the other AD Forest. Using the Quest (formerly Aelita) migration tools (which ain't cheap but will save your hamhocks out of this barbecue you got going....) to migrate the user's profile and Exchange mailboxes into the new Forest.

http://wm.quest.com/ has several papers on Excange migration.

I also recommend that you purchase the book Exchange 24/7, if you are going to perform this migration activity.

Back to Software Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)