Question

UPGRADE GA-P31-DS3L with INTEL Core 2 Quad Q9650

By GerardBedell ·
Hi All,

I am attempting to upgrade the cpu of my GA-P31-DS3L with F10a BIOS
To an INTEL Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 GHz 12MB Yorkfield purchased from tekheads this week.

However, the system hangs (freezes) at Windows Bootscreen when cpu is in.

I have tried as many tweaks as i can think of including many different BIOS configurations.

Would you guys have any idea what the issue may be and can you think of any configurations I can try to fix the problem. It's a shame if it won't work because it looks like a real good processor and i really don't want to have to sell it on via EBAY...

Thanx in advance for your advice. Gerard

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Repair Windows

by Mehul Bhai In reply to UPGRADE GA-P31-DS3L with ...

You will have to repair windows as the windows installation was or may be for the previous CPU which was there previously before you upgraded th CPU.

Collapse -

Try a In Place Install of Windows

by OH Smeg In reply to UPGRADE GA-P31-DS3L with ...

By following the directions here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

Look at Method 2

Reinstall Windows XP Service Pack 2
If Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) was installed on your computer before you reinstalled Windows XP, you must reinstall SP2. If you did not already reinstall SP2 with the Windows XP in the previous section, use one of the following methods to reinstall SP2 now.
Method 1: Obtain the service pack CD and reinstall the service pack after you reinstall Windows XP
To order Windows Service Pack 2 on CD, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx)
Method 2: Download the service pack after you reinstall Windows XP
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322389 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/ ) How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
Reinstall all updates to Windows
After you reinstall Windows XP, you must reinstall all updates to Windows also. To reinstall Windows updates, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com)
Reinstall Internet Explorer 7
When Windows XP is repaired and is running correctly, reinstall Internet Explorer 7. To do this, you will need the Internet Explorer 7 installation package. This package is available through Windows Update. Also, the package may still be on the computer from the first time that you installed Internet Explorer 7. Locate the installation package in the folder in which you saved the files, and reinstall the program.

Note This package may be located in the Temporary Internet Files folder. If you cannot locate the Internet Explorer 7 installation package, visit the following Microsoft Web site to obtain this package:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx)
To connect to the Microsoft download site, you must have a functional Web browser. If Internet Explorer 6 does not work on the computer after you uninstall Internet Explorer 7, you cannot download the Internet Explorer 7 installation package. In this situation, you can use a computer that has a functional Web browser to download the Internet Explorer 7 installation package. Then, use a shared network drive to install the program onto the repaired computer. If you cannot use a shared network for this purpose, copy the Internet Explorer 7 installation package onto a CD, and install Internet Explorer 7 on the repaired computer from the CD.

If you had difficulty completing these final steps, unfortunately, this content is unable to help you any further. So, you might want to ask someone for help, or you might want to contact Support.

Col

Collapse -

Thanks for the last two posted suggestions

by GerardBedell In reply to Try a In Place Install of ...

Hi Guys,

Thanks. What I will try for now is a combination of both fixes. I have SP3 so I will make or order a sp3 disk and try a win repair. I'd rather not start from scratch as I have a clean install and spent several weeks now installing software and optimising hardware.

I know what youre thinking - 'I should have upgraded cpu first...'

It's just that I upgraded to Adobe CS4 SW and need a little more kick now.

I'll post my results - Thanks again. G.

Collapse -

Have you looked in the BIOS

by OH Smeg In reply to Thanks for the last two p ...

And made sure that the M'Board is correctly identifying the new CPU?

It is also possible that if it isn't then the system is Hanging because of a Over/Under clocking issue. If the Base Speed and Multiplet of the CPU is incorrect even if the Over All Speed is correct you can have this happen.

Just do not forget to save the changes as you exit the BIOS.

Col

Collapse -

Checking Bios

by GerardBedell In reply to Have you looked in the BI ...

Thanks. At first glance the BIOS does seem to automatically apply the correct settings. However I will mail the Gigabyte and INTEL to get recomended settings once I have ruled out OS problems.

I am trying a LINUX boot from CD next and if that works will try a clean xp install onto another partition.

If neither of the above work it's back to the BIOS as you suggest.

Regards Big G.

Collapse -

Instead of installing XP

by OH Smeg In reply to Checking Bios

To another Partition if you have a M$ Branded Install Disc as apposed to a System Makers Recovery Disc you can do the In Place Install as mentioned above. It will not create a Dual Boot Option at the Boot Loader and will repair the existing Windows Install.

If you have access tot he Internet you can also get yourself a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD and test your Hardware fully.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

But by all means try a Live Linux first if that works then the Hardware should be OK.

Col

Collapse -

Update and Results sofar

by GerardBedell In reply to Instead of installing XP

Thanks again for all the ADV. :)

Since last post I have tried:

Booting from LINUX
RESULT - SAME SYS FREEZE ON OS BOOT

(therefore have decided not to try new xp install or repairs - prob must be somewhere other than os)

Uninstalling all other hardware
RESULT - SAME SYS FREEZE ON OS BOOT

Using just 1 stick of ram
RESULT - SAME

Talking to the computer nicely and surprising it with flowers and chocolate
RESULT - SAME AS BEFORE

Have run many system checks including TUB CD and Eurosoft PC Check.
RESULT - ALL HARDWATE CHECKS PASS EXCEPT__
**cpu cache coherency**

FULL RESULT:

PC-CHECK EUROSOFT
MP SYMMETRY CHECK
(ALL MP SYM CHECKS PASS XCPT...

CACHE COHERENCY
PROCESSOR 1-4

(1) BOOT CPU INTEL CORE - N/A OR PASS
(2) APP CPU INTEL CORE - (SYSYEM FREEZE) THEN MANUAL REBOOT REQUIRED
(3) APP CPU INTEL CORE - (SYSYEM FREEZE) THEN MANUAL REBOOT REQUIRED
(4) APP CPU INTEL CORE - PASS

Well Guys N Girls - On the back of these results can I assume there is a conflict between either graphics mem, or RAM.
Or is it somthing else entirely?

To be quite honest i am now wandering out of my comfort zone with things such as cache coherency.

My RAM specs are: 2off
Samsung
DDR2 1024mb PC2-4300(266Mhz)

Processor specs are:
INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q9650
3GHz 12MB-L2Cache FSB 1333MHz

OLD processor specs are:
INTEL Pentium D925
3ghz 2mb-L2Cache FSB 800mhz

Hows about them apples!?

As always a push in the right direction is always appreciated... :~)

Best regards to ALL - Big G

Collapse -

I think I might..

by balge In reply to Update and Results sofar

assume the CPU is borked and return it?
or have you managed to boot a live CD ?
you say you can't boot Linux but give some results? are they from a live CD?
unless you have another mobo to try the CPU in?
cheers

Collapse -

OK then what Video Card/Chip Set are you running?

by OH Smeg In reply to Update and Results sofar

With the P31's I've had some issues with Nydia Video Cards previously so what is the Video Card that you are using here?

Also check the Supported Memory List here

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-ep31-ds3l_2.0.pdf

There are not many Supported Samsung RAM Types listed so that may be the issue here as well.

The Failure to Boot or a Failure to read Files off a Windows Install Disc are signs of Faulty RAM or at least incompatible RAM. That may be the issue here.

Col

Collapse -

Almost There!! :)

by GerardBedell In reply to UPGRADE GA-P31-DS3L with ...

Update:

Yes I think smeg ur right about ram not being compatible. It works and tests perfect with lesser processor.

Why didnt I think of ram compatibility??? Doh...!

I contacted Crucial and they spec'd me

1GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 memory module
CT12864AA800
Module Size: 1GB
Package: 240-pin DIMM
Feature: DDR2 PC2-6400
Specs: DDR2 PC2-6400 ? CL=6 ? Unbuffered ? NON-ECC ? DDR2-800 ? 1.8V ? 128Meg x 64 ?

...as compatible with the Q9650. So I'm gonna get four of those and fire her up..

I am checking with NVIDIA for Gcard compatability.
If you have any info on this I would appreciate a heads up. :)

Manufacturer : Nvidia Corp (Elitegroup Computer Sys)
Model : NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Bus Type : PCI-Express
Total Memory : 512 MB
Texture Memory : 740 MB
Processor : GeForce 8400 GS
Converter : Integrated RAMDAC
Refresh Rate (min/max) : 56/75 Hz
Codename : G86
Revision : A2
Bus : 128-bit
Memory Type : GDDR3
GPU Frequency : 459 MHz - [initial : 459 MHz]
Shader Clock : 1836 MHz - [initial : 918 MHz]
Memory Frequency GPU : 333 MHz - [initial : 333 MHz]
DirectX Support : 10
Pixel Shader Version : 3.0

Thanks for all advice - Bets Regards Big G.

Back to Windows Forum
12 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next