General discussion

Upgrade/Install of Windows 2000 Pro

By jim.fader ·
Cannot find information on whether it is better to upgrade an existing Windows NT 4.0 workstation to Windows 2000 Professional or to wipe the hard drive and do a brand new install. Some companies that I am dealing with have taken different approaches:
1) Company A is upgrading all their desktops from NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 Pro - but they are wiping all their laptops and doing a brand new install of Windows 2000 Pro.
2) Company B is wiping all their workstations and laptops and doing ne installs.

Has anyone found documentation recommending the best way to proceed. I know that if you upgrade the Winnt\Profiles directory is still used - where a new install uses the documents and settings folder instead.

Any help is appreciated.
Jim Fader

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jcbarranco In reply to Upgrade/Install of Window ...

Jim,

About 2 months ago, my university had TrainAbility come in and give an extensive 3 day training course on Windows 2000 for IT Professionals. In their manual that we received, they stated the following:

Just say "no" to upgrading

Some of the reasons they listed are:

-junk in the registry and disk drive
-bugs & features
-inconsistency (security settings)

One exception - PDC

Hope this helps you.

~john~

Collapse -

by jim.fader In reply to Upgrade/Install of Window ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by gbainbridge In reply to Upgrade/Install of Window ...

I have to agree with jcbarranco on this. Just say "NO!" to upgrading! I've done clean installs on over 75 PC's, and one upgrade. The one upgrade I did took FOREVER, probably because there were lots apps of varying sizes installed on the machine.If I had to estimate, the upgrade I did (including fixing the problems caused by the upgrade) took me about 4 hours, versus about 2 hours for a clean install, software config and document transfer of identical configuration.

Clean installs are also better because you can use RIS or Ghost to clone machines quickly.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Upgrade/Install of Window ...

The Fresh install will not conflict with overwriting the files that may cause conflict on hanups doing a upgrade,you may find documentation at knowledgebase www.microsoft.com,but this is not from any IT dept doing the actual instalation.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by caranosian In reply to Upgrade/Install of Window ...

Followup to the other replies you have received: I have done both fresh installs and upgrades, from NT4 and from Win 9x. If Win2K install detects an existing OS, it will recommend doing the upgrade (MS assumes you'd rather not have to reinstall all your applications). I confirm that the upgrade takes longer than the fresh install, but how much longer depends on how many apps & devices are already installed. The upgrade from Win 95 took a LOT longer, the upgrade from NT4 just a little longer. Mykey questions for you to ask yourself:

1. How messy or non-standard are your current NT4 boxes? Lots of different apps, upgrades, user-installed nonsense, peripherals, etc? If your NT4 boxes are well-managed and pretty standard, then the upgrade approach becomes more attractive. If the NT4 machines are not standardized, then making a fresh start (and establishing a new standard) looks better - upgrading a messy box will lead to headaches later.

2. How many different apps are installed, and how do you currently deploy software? You won't save time doing fresh Win2K installs if you have to manually install lots of apps. If you only support a few applications, then this may be OK.

Lastly - if you decide to wipe each drive and start fresh, I strongly encourage you to use something like Ghost to put a base image of Win2K and any standard apps (Office, etc.) on each machine, then have your other apps packaged (I use WinInstall) so you can quickly layer packaged apps on top of the standard build. Using this approach, I can rebuild my Win2K Pro machines from scratch, regardless of which combination of apps the user needs, in 60-90 minutes.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)