General discussion

Upgrade to win2000 professional

By msfiroudis ·
Hi,

I have a window 98 os. I would like to upgrade to a windows 2000 prof. os. I do have the windows 2000 prof. os cd. Is it a easy pocess to upgade to win2000? Could I use the win2000 cd that I have or is there a special upgarde cd out there? I would like not loose any programs or software I currntley have when I upgrade.Any help would be appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Geek2D In reply to Upgrade to win2000 profes ...

You should be able to boot with the cd and run an upgrade, just follow the prompts. If you cant boot from CD make sure you have the latest BIOS and then make the CD the second boot device. Upgrading does have its quirks and you may have unexplained errors that you just can't get rid of down the road. the Best thing you can do it get another HD and install 2k fresh and new, unfortunetly you will need to reinstall your applications, then slave your other drive and copy over files you need. That would be the best way, it just teks longer.

Collapse -

by msfiroudis In reply to Upgrade to win2000 profes ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Upgrade to win2000 profes ...

1)Do a Backup in case
2)check the hardware compatibilty list at microsoft knowledgebase for hardware compatibility
3)Check the manufacturers web site for updated drivers to all hardware.
There is a full version and a upgrade version of the WIN2KPro software check to see what version you have at hand.
Insert the CD in drive and the process will begin,you will be given a choice to do a clean install or upgrade,and since you will not be wiping the drive clean you will choose the upgrade choice,it will proceed to inspect drive ,before continuing with setup.
It depends on your preparation as how the process will load.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by chessmaster315 In reply to Upgrade to win2000 profes ...

Do it the smart way if you have the hard drive space-dual boot Win 98 and Win 2000.
Why? Win 2000 is a very reliable system but it lacks the compatability of Win 98. I had a difficult time with drivers that were compatable with Win 98 but not Win2000. Put them on a seperate partition! When you are completely satisfied of the compatability after using both Win 98 and Win
2000, you can take Win 98 off if you choose. That way you wont loose anything
except some hard drive space.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by RobFLA In reply to Upgrade to win2000 profes ...

Your windows 2000 cd has a utility that will generate a very thoruogh report of how your hardware and software can be expected to perform in windows 2000. In the I386 folder, you should find chkupgrd.bat, or from a command prompt run <cd drive>i386\winnt32.exe /checkupgradeonly. This report will be the most help in deciding how to move to windows 2000. The only way to guarantee the safety of your data is to back it up. Now would be a good time to invest in a Zip drive.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)