General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Upgrading a Windows 2000 DC w/ active directory

by jeffrey.ho ·

We currently have our primary domain controller and active directory in a Windows 2000 server environment. We want to transfer this to a new server with Windows 2003 Server. What steps do we need to take in order to make the new server the primary DC, and keep our active directory intact?

jeff

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

W2k mig to W2003

by kevin_gillins ·

In reply to Upgrading a Windows 2000 DC w/ active directory

Hi, I am looking for the EXACT same thing. Did you ever get an answer? Willing to share?
      Thanks
      Kevin

If the hardware supports it, why not just do an inplace upgrade of your DC?

by maniacman ·

In reply to W2k mig to W2003

Your existing AD domains will stay in tact and your AD schema will get bumped up to the new AD version of W2K3. Also, you won’t have to worry about SID migrations or permissions because your current domain structure won’t change. If your current server hardware won’t support it, then you’ll have to setup the new server as a member server first and then promote it to a domain controller (you’ll need to run adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep from the W2K3 CD on your current W2K forest to extend the schema first). Let me know how you wish to go and I’ll guide you along the way, as I’ve done this many times before.

Viewing 0 reply threads