General discussion

Upgrading from 2000 to XP

By Cgoeckel ·
Has anyone run into an issue where you upgrade a desktop or a laptop to XP and the Microsoft update repeatedly comes up prompting you to install an update?

We have run into this situation repeatedly and the only clear option we have is to do a format of the drive and do a clean install.

Currently we have no ghost images of an XP machine due to the fact that we have a multitude of varying types of machines (Gateways and Dells).

Any suggestions?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

15 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Upgrading from 2000 to XP

What is the message that you are getting?

It could be a driver issue or if you are using a XP SP2 Upgrade that would allow the Auto Update function to be start and could be causing the listed message.

From past experience most error messages that you get are the result of incompatible drivers with XP that worked perfectly with Y2K but without know exactly what the unit is asking for it's hard to give you any better answer.

Col

Collapse -

by Cgoeckel In reply to Upgrading from 2000 to XP

Actually there are no error messages that we can see.

Nothing in the log.

The update icon appears and we get the same update trying to install over and over.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Upgrading from 2000 to XP

which update does it think it keeps needing to put on ? is it dot net framework

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to

to answer your question, no i do not know of this being an upgrade issue.
i also found this:
Windows Update, Microsoft Update, or the Windows Automatic Updates feature may repeatedly offer the MS04-003 security update in Knowledge Base article 832483 as a critical update for your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883280/en-us

Collapse -

The Bookman Shelf font ( I know...its a font)

And the other one is an IE security update. I don't have the ID on it handy since we did a fresh reload on the laptop that was being worked on.

Collapse -

by dlaslo In reply to Upgrading from 2000 to XP

Did you already apply SP2? In not, do so and then see if the problem continues. You could also remove the offending update and then let it reinstall and see what happens.

Collapse -

by jon In reply to Upgrading from 2000 to XP

IMHO, you will have 25 less headaches if you just install the full version instead up upgrading.

Collapse -

by westec77 In reply to Upgrading from 2000 to XP

Answer 1 is on the right track. I've seen a Microsoft article addressing this issue in detail. Go the MS knowledgebase and you'll find the right answer.

see ya @ www.sacramentocomputertechnician.com

Collapse -

Thanks to all for the comments so far.

SP2 had been applied when we were getting the update prompt repeatedly.

Obviously there is something in the "upgrade" that doesn't mesh well going from W2K to XP.

What we have decided to do is just have the users save their info on the systems to their folders on the file server that is important (I have a feeling that MP3s will be considered that!) and then format and install.

We have Ghost so when it gets around to the time for the Dells we can do one and then ghost it and speed the process up. The slow part will be the Gateway systems we have because we have 1 or 2 of 6 different models floating around.

On a side note...one of the laptops that we upgraded was a Dell D505. It went fine BUT neither the XP CD or the Dell resource CD didn't have the drivers for the on board wireless card. We had to download the drivers for that.

Collapse -

by Deejay54 In reply to Upgrading from 2000 to XP

I had something wierd like that occur on a machine that I upgraded. I had to turn off the auto update and manually update it. After that, I turned on the auto update feature and had no more problems.

Back to Windows Forum
15 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next