General discussion

Upgrading from Windows 2000 to Server 2003

By nfondren ·
I am currently running windows 2000 but want to upgrade to windows 2003 server on all computers.Of course one will act as the domain controller, with the rest being member servers. do i need to perform a new installation or can i simply upgrade.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Usually an easy operation to upgrade.

by Spanky In reply to Upgrading from Windows 20 ...

There is very rarely and problem upgrading directly from Windows 2000 to 2003, but it's important to verify that the hardware meets the requirements for 2003 and have a good, current system state backup in case something goes wrong.

Collapse -

by victor In reply to Upgrading from Windows 20 ...

Backup an image if your DC's then pop in the disk and updrage that puppy :-)

Collapse -

Check system compatibility first using CD

by AvengerM1 In reply to Upgrading from Windows 20 ...

If you have the Windows 2003 CD handy, pop it the drive. When it autoruns and gives the menu, check the selection called "Check System Compatibility". This will check the system and show you potential problems that you may encounter with the upgrade, such as hardware/drivers and installed software incompatibility. You may have to check manufacturers websites for updated device drivers that work with Windows Server 2003, especially since it is very much like Windows XP. If everything looks good, backup the system thoroughly (or even create a backup image), then proceed with the upgrade. I would do the domain controller first, then do the member servers as time permits.

Back to IT Employment Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)