General discussion

Upgrading to Exchange 2003

By ccthompson ·
Ok, got a new server in and attempting to install Exchange 2003. I currently have a Windows 2000 Server with Exchange 2000 on it.

Going into it, it asks to run domain prep and forest prep. Is it ok to run these during business hours? I have always heard bad things of running these on the clock. But I cant understand why!

Could someone let me know if this is a good idea to run during business hours, or just wait for a weekend or late night?

Thanks!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ccthompson In reply to Upgrading to Exchange 200 ...

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by BFilmFan In reply to Upgrading to Exchange 200 ...

Forestprep and domainprep are best run after-normal business hours just due to the lower level of traffic in the network.

Users would see a slowdown in LDAP queries while the utilities are running.

Collapse -

by ccthompson In reply to

Thank you! I will do it on a weekend, I have to move all the mailboxes anyway. I might just curl up to the old server with a six pack and do some domain/forest preps.

Collapse -

by pbtoms In reply to Upgrading to Exchange 200 ...

I wondered this too, but figured I shouldn't take the chance (plus I wanted a solid backup in case I screwed it all up), so I did it on a Saturday. There was one guy in that morning (lawyers!), and I let him stay on the network. While the preps were running, I saw the CPU usage jump to about 50% and stay there. Didn't run long, maybe 15 minutes each, give or take a bit (I can't remember for sure), but it was definitely taking its toll on the server. If you can handle a significant and noticable performance hit during business hours, go for it. (On the other hand, if your domain controllers are JUST domain controllers -mine is multi-function -it might not make a significant difference.) I'd do it on a Monday morning. Everybody is dragging anyway, and won't notice things are slow! But it really doesn't take a lot of time, so if you can pull off a weekend or night trip to the office, it's better, and won't tie up your whole weekend. Plus, if there's a problem, you have some time to mess with it.

Collapse -

Thank You, I will do it after hours.

Collapse -

by jguasch In reply to Upgrading to Exchange 200 ...

All depends on the size of your domain. How many users, how many DC. The reason I say this is that, if you have a small domain(few users) chances are, when you do the Domain Prep and forest prep, there is least likely that someone is authenticating while you're doing that. If you have thousands of users, then there is a chance where in, people are authenticating while your doing Domain and forest Prep. If you have several domain controllers, then it will take time to replicate to all.. If you have 1 or 2 then the prep will take shorter time to replicate and cause fewer problems.

I ahve done several Domain Prep and Forest Prep on a small domain with employees in house with no problems. But for bigger domains, then after hours is always the best. BTW it is always advisable to do the prep after office hours.

Collapse -

Thank You, I will do it after hours and move the mailboxes all in the same day.

Collapse -

by ccthompson In reply to Upgrading to Exchange 200 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Software Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)