General discussion

Upgrading to W2000 Prof on a dual boot m

By dhutchin ·
I currently have what I call a utility/fill-in computer in my network that is setup to dual boot to either W98 or NT Server 4.0. I want to check out W2000 Prof. Can I upgrade my W98? Or better yet is there any way to add W2000 Prof to my choices?

I know I read microsoft's thing where dual booting may not be allowed, but I am really wanting to do a little R&amp on W2000.

Thanks,

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by drfox In reply to Upgrading to W2000 Prof o ...

I have had Windows 2000 running with Windows 98 after upgrading from Windows NT 4 Workstation with no problems, the only way I can think of to have Windows 2000 as an option as well is if you have a spare partition on your harddrive or where able toadd an extra hardrive to your computer.
I am not sure of the upgrade path of Windows 98 to Windows 2000, if you search on Microsofts Site there should be some information on it.

Collapse -

by dhutchin In reply to Upgrading to W2000 Prof o ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by msullivan In reply to Upgrading to W2000 Prof o ...

Win2K Pro will upgrade your Win98 installation. Pro will not upgrade your NT Server installation. You may be able to install a clean copy of Win2K and have all 3 choices, but I haven't tried a 3 way boot yet.

Be careful with your 98 upgrade, if you have 3rd party drivers or software be sure to check with the mfg website before the upgrade.

Hope this helps.
Mike

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by ciberdann In reply to Upgrading to W2000 Prof o ...

You can do like I did on my Server I have Windows 98SE,Windows NT Server, and Wondows 2000 pro. It is easy to do just follow the instructions on the screen. I say this because it is real easy to screw up.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by terrance.grossmith In reply to Upgrading to W2000 Prof o ...

You should be able to add W2K Pro to your computer as long as you install it on a separate partition. I have a machine that is a triple boot with Windows 98, Windows NT Workstation, and Windows 2000 Professional, and I have not had any problems with any of them. W98 and WNTWS share a partition, and W2000Pro is on its own partition. Microsoft does not recommend installing multiple OSes to the same partition, although I did it anyway and it works fine. Your best bet is to install to either a separate partition or another drive, and you should be fine. It should add W2000Pro to your list of choices in the boot.ini file automatically during installation. Good Luck!

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by acer55 In reply to Upgrading to W2000 Prof o ...

I kinda in the same situation as you are. I have some users running Win95, Win98 and NT 4.0. We are planning to convert to Win2K in Aug. I need to have all 4 OS running in my test lab, yet I did not have the extra machines to set up individual systems. After reasearching multiboot system and finding some people have had great sucess and other have horror stories. I came to the conclusion that the chance of problems along with the need to eliminate the possibilities that an OS is acting funny due to the other Os on the system, lead me to purchase 4 Mobile Hard Drive Racks. These racks allow me to put a clean OS on the drive and swap when I need a different OS. I use 1.2 gig drives in the racks to just hold the OS and have a 13 gig drive as a data/program drive.
The racks cost about $20.00 each and I got the 1.2 gig drives out of some P100 system that we were going to scrap.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Back to Windows Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next