General discussion

upgrading windows 2000 to windows xp

By maep101 ·
I recently bought a Dell laptop that has windows 2000 professional installed on it. The hard dive is in two partitions. I installed windows xp, but its on the same partition as 2000. The second partition didn't have enough room on it. I need to get get rid of the partitions and start over, but need help. There is an internal Dell wireless on this computer, and I have no driver disk. If I do a complete reformat, will I have to replace the wireless card?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

1. That was not an upgrade!

by Absolutely In reply to upgrading windows 2000 to ...

2. Wiping out partitions is an option during installation of Windows XP (or 2000, for that matter). It is also possible from the Control Panel, under Administrative Tools/Disk Management, before you begin installation. That will allow you to delete the second partition, making it recognizable to the install process as 'available space'.

3. Go to Dell's website first for the drivers. If they are not supported, a Google search for the name of the wireless card as it appears in the Windows Device Manager window, concatenated with 'driver' will take you quickly to what you need, but it is probably somewhere in www.dell.com

*Note*
If you are using a Windows XP 'Upgrade' CD rather than a 'Full' version of XP, you will be required to insert the original Windows 2000 CD, or another version of Windows with a valid upgrade path to Windows XP.

Collapse -

Yes i can help

I can help you if you want drop me an e-mail at zakflemingo@gmail.com

Back to Hardware Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)