General discussion

USB function Driver error in win2000pro

By milan680 ·
I was trying to get a new USB webcam to work with my Windows 2000 Professional. I had a different webcam hooked up to the USB port before and it worked fine but with the new webcam my problems started :

Completing the Found New Hardware Wizard
(Picture of USB Symbol)

An error occurred during the installation of the deviceThe installation failed because a function driver was notspecified for the this device instance.
To close the wizard, click Finish.

Now every time I try to install any type of USB device (my old webcam, I even tried an Microsoft mouse)The same error occurs.

I have spent countless hours surfing the newsgroups( a lot of people have the same error –no one had as solution)Microsoft KB ,Tech Web Sites, Camera manufacturer Tech Support-(they cant figure it either) I have tried to reinstall the USB driver everyway I know how (Rremove from device manager, remove all related USB devices, unplugged
everything on the computer and re-plugged it back in (letting it find everything one at a time). I even reinstalled the O/S with a in place upgrade of windows2000pro.

Anyway, I am stuck.Please help me find a solution.I really appreciate your input.
Thanks in advance.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to USB function Driver error ...

Try booting the computer nad when the Add New Hardware Wizard starts,selct option to pick the manufaturer from list,you will then proceed to manually load the drivers for the web cam
Select the manufacturer from list and then click have disk,then specify the location of disk,click on drivers and the specific operating system,click OK

You can also try loading the Win98 driver from the disk if all else fails

Follow the onscreen instructions then reboot
W2K Pro is not all that friendly when it comes to loading certain hardware and it will try your patience.

Collapse -

by milan680 In reply to USB function Driver error ...

I had already tried what you suggested. The best solution was was to buy a new USB 2.0 PCI card. Thanks anyway

Collapse -

by milan680 In reply to USB function Driver error ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)