General discussion

USB to IEEE1284 printing

By gsancataldo ·
Hi,
I havwe a new laptop with 6 x USB 2.0 ports and NO parallel port. Unfortunately my printer is a PCL printr with only a parallel conection available. My understanding is that USB ports for printing are only available via plug and pray.
Is there a utility / workaround?

Thanks,

Gerry

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Converter cable

by TheChas In reply to USB to IEEE1284 printing

These kind of questions actually belong in the Technical Q&A area. Not the Discussion Forum.

That said, you can use a USB to Parallel converter to allow the use of your parallel port printer.
Any major computer retailer or web seller should have them.

The problem comes in if you are using a DOS based program that does not recognize the USB port.

Chas

Collapse -

How do I point my drive at the USB port

by gsancataldo In reply to Converter cable

How do I point my drive at the USB port as it is not displayed in the list of available ports within the printer driver, nor can you add such a port. A friend picked up a cable (USB to parallel) on a trip overseas, however plug and pray cannot find a driver for it.

My apologies for using this forum as I am a virgin re Techrepublic.

Gerry

Collapse -

How do I point my drive at the USB port

by gsancataldo In reply to Converter cable

How do I point my drive at the USB port as it is not displayed in the list of available ports within the printer driver, nor can you add such a port. A friend picked up a cable (USB to parallel) on a trip overseas, however plug and pray cannot find a driver for it.

My apologies for using this forum as I am a virgin re Techrepublic.

Gerry

Back to Desktop Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)