General discussion

Use PDC passwords for Win2000 pro

By dennisbv ·
WE are adding some Windows 2000 pro machines to our NT network and I would like to know if we can get the Win 2000 machines to use the PDC to validate user credentials like a Windows 95-98 machine. Now we have to set up a local account on the Win 2000 machine that matches the users Network credentials. We set the users up as restricted access, we the add mine and my associates credentials (as Administrators) to each machine. Is there a better way to set these up. Now if any of these password are changed we would have to change them on all the Windows 2000 machines.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BeerMonster In reply to Use PDC passwords for Win ...

Hi,
Assuming this isn't a joke....

On the desktop of each 2000 machine, right click on the 'my computer' icon and select properties. Select the network identification tab, and click on the properties button that displays there. select the domain radio button, and put in the name of your nt4 domain, and click 'ok'. You will be prompted for the username and password of an administrator for the domain, provide those details, and after a few seconds you should receive a message saying 'welcome to the 'yourdomainname' domain'. Once the machine has rebooted, you will notice that there is an extra field on the login box, click the down arrow to the right and you will see your domain name listed, select it and then log in with any user from the domain. Note that from this point on, any domain user will be able to log in to these machines, and will be authenticated via the domain. Any of the domain accounts currently in use on the win9x boxes should be able to log in too. The main difference between win9x and 2000 that you need to be aware of here is that 2000 machines themselves need to be made members of the domain before domain users can log onto them. Hope this makes things a bit clearer.

Collapse -

by dennisbv In reply to Use PDC passwords for Win ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by dennisbv In reply to Use PDC passwords for Win ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)